What's with the "Enable screen saver" option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Monster

Dabbler
Like the title says, on FreeNAS8.0-Release, under Settings --> Advanced is the following option:

Code:
Enable screen saver

What does this do?

I've left the machine running for days, come back to the console and nothing's happening :)

To be honest, the server's generally headless most of the time (we have a "manual" KVM switch :rolleyes:), so it seems pointless to me - however - if it actually means turning off the monitor (DPMI?) or spinning down hard-disks (I know, that's another option elsewhere), then it might make some sense...

I've tried Googling, searching the FreeNAS.org, but I can't find anything about it...

I know - low importance - but there's nothing more intriguing than an checkbox that doesn't appear to do anything :D

SoftDux-Rudi

Contributor
I think that used to be a screen saver for the console but no longer actually works?

jafin

Explorer
I concur, i see no saved screens with this option on.. must be a bug.

T-Monster

Dabbler
Ah, ok, so it definitely is an "undocumented feature" then :)

In case someone knows how to create a bug report for this - (I'm dealing with a pile of my own at the moment) - can someone combine this with the other power saving options rather than just having one option for a "black screen" which seems pointless...

Any hoo... at least I now know I'm not stoopid for not knowing why it isn't working :)

Status
Not open for further replies.