What's the file and folder tree for software (OS, Containers) and hardware (boot, datasets) installs?

blademan

Dabbler
Hi all,

Configuring a newish install of scale, and I was wondering where containers are located in the filesystem. Is there a hierarchy or tree published showing where everything resides?

Install is on a SuperMicro SS X9 board, for file and media (plex + *arrs):
  1. 2 x 500GB SATA ssd mirrored on boot-pool
  2. 12 x 10TB SAS hdd ZFS-2 on a pool
  3. 2 x 1TB NVME ssd on Supermicro M.2 pci cards (to be configured for fast access)
  4. 2 x 58GB Optane on Supermicro M.2 pci cards (will be for ZIL/SLOG, L2ARC)
  • I installed a couple truenas and charts apps, but I wasn't asked where they would be installed. Looking at logs and configs, apps were installed on the boot-pool. I hadn't planned on this location, and so boot-pool drives are smaller. Should I be concerned about disk space on boot-pool with many apps installed? I would have installed the apps on the NVME ssd for speed, but also not to consume space on boot-pool (and avoid any risk of OS running out of space for logs, etc)
  • How do you monitor the capacity utilization of boot-pool devices? I don't see any information in the mgmt GUI for boot-pool.

LarsR

Guru
Usually before you can install any apps, you're asked to choose a pool where all apps will be installed. You can check which pool it is by going to apps -> top right corner of the screen is a button called settings -> choose pool.
Don't worry about space on the boot pool, since there won't be installed anything but the OS. You cant choose it for apps or data by default.
You can check the boot pool by going to system settings -> boot -> top right corner button called "stats/settings" or using an ssh session/build in shell and run zpool list boot-pool.

Edit: 500gb for boot is massively oversized. I'm running a 120gb ssd and it uses 23gb with 4 older versions of trunas stored. Each boot enviroment is 5gb in size.

blademan

Dabbler
Usually before you can install any apps, you're asked to choose a pool where all apps will be installed. You can check which pool it is by going to apps -> top right corner of the screen is a button called settings -> choose pool.
Don't worry about space on the boot pool, since there won't be installed anything but the OS. You cant choose it for apps or data by default.
You can check the boot pool by going to system settings -> boot -> top right corner button called "stats/settings" or using an ssh session/build in shell and run zpool list boot-pool.

Edit: 500gb for boot is massively oversized. I'm running a 120gb ssd and it uses 23gb with 4 older versions of trunas stored. Each boot enviroment is 5gb in size.
@LarsR Thanks so much.
Ahh, gotcha for apps > settings > choose pool. I looked at system settings > boot, but missed the > stats/settings button. Understood, boot-pool is literally just for boot OS + related configs, and nothing more.
New to containers. So can I adjust the app pool location, and will scale redeploy the container to the new pool location and clean up the old install on the old pool? Or should I delete and recreate the app with a new pool location? Or does the apps > settings > choose pool, apply pool location change only for apps installed in the future?
Where in the filesystem are container apps mounted? If host path was used, it shows the filesystem location. But it doesn't show the location of each container if the defaults are used.

LarsR

Guru
By default truenas creates a dataset called ix-applications on the pool chosen to run the apps. If not selected otherwise during app creation you apps config will be stored in a folder inside that dataset. You should be able to switch pools and your apps should migrate over just fine, but i recently saw on the truecharts discord that apps unsing cnpg as the database won't migrate without manual intervention. if you don't use any truecharts apps you should be good to go, but be prepared to eventually reinstall apps, or follow truecharts cnpg migration guide.
After moving the apps pool the old dataset should be automatically deleted.