Do i have the right idea here?

I currently have TrueNas Scale installed on a 1tb nvme SSD......Was unaware that it keeps the whole drive for the boot and installed it on my fastest nvme storage i have in my server so its being wasted.....My 2nd M.2 slot has another NVME(slower) installed and thats what ive been using for my Vms and apps but i want that space back...

Currently i have about 6 apps and 3 vms and a coulple of Pools set up....My plan to correct this is to add a 120gb ssd and occupy the free USB 3.0 socket on my MB and use a USB 3.0 to sata cable to add the drive.....Ive backed up my Config and the plan here is to do a fresh install to the New 120gb ssd and upload my config then format the NVME i was using for boot and create a pool to get that storage back

Will this work seamlessly? ...Will the apps just restore and deploy after i do the config restore? What should i expect....Thanks

Going the route of adding the drive through the USB 3.0 port to keep my sata ports free for bulk storage in the future......The 120gb drive i would be adding is a cheap kingston just for TrueNas