What's special about SATADOM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TooMuchData

Contributor
Hi All.

I'm in conversation with William Lee of ASRock about problems I'm having with the C2750D4I recently sent to me (my 2 year old board went back on RMA). Sometimes, not all the time, when power is applied the new board endlessly exhibits "system initializing". I have to push the button multiple times to eventually get the board to POST and boot. Needless to say, this makes remote control somewhat difficult. My old board booted quickly and dependably until I "upgraded" the BIOS and BMC.

For a year my freenas-boot pool has been on mirrored 8GB satadoms and they have performed flawlessly. I got them from MemoryDepot.com (Part: DESMV-08GD07RC1SC, Product: 8GB SATADOM0MV 3ME MLC 1 channel 90MB). I read about them in this forum.

Today Mr. Lee told me that the C2750D4I "isn’t designed to accommodate a SATA DOM, [and] the SATA DOM device will not work, or it’s possible that the board might behave differently." I was amazed by this and told William so. I explained that I thought the satadom was just another sata device and told him that the BIOS readily found the satadoms in the Intel or Marvel ports and was happy to boot them. I have never had a single error on the satadoms.

He replied "That’s strange. As far as I know, if our board is developed to be able to use SATA DOM device, that specific SATA port for the SATA DOM device will be specifically advertised and in red color like this board D1521D4I. http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=D1521D4I#Specifications"

Can someone discuss why ASRock would find it necessary or desirable to design a special port for a satadom? Am I unknowingly running an unsupported device, or is this a marketing issue.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I think what he's confusing is that the SATA DOM ports provide the SATA power so that no external power source is needed to power the drive. The drive itself is just a SATA drive.

TooMuchData

Contributor
Thank you, Jailer. That is very likely his (and my) misunderstanding.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
For a year my freenas-boot pool has been on mirrored 8GB satadoms and they have performed flawlessly. I got them from MemoryDepot.com (Part: DESMV-08GD07RC1SC, Product: 8GB SATADOM0MV 3ME MLC 1 channel 90MB). I read about them in this forum.
I'm curious about this device... how do you provide power to it? Does it have a 5V power connector like the Supermicro DOMs? Thanks!

TooMuchData

Contributor
Please see photo.

Attachments

• Satadom-MV 3ME.jpg
    Satadom-MV 3ME.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 951

Easygoer

Explorer

BBarker

Contributor
Status