What version of TrueNAS is best for me?

wsoteros

iSCSI Enjoyer
Administrator
iXsystems
The Software-Status table is now live at https://www.truenas.com/software-status/

Past the midway point of 2022, most users are still using TrueNAS 12.0 versions. Both TrueNAS SCALE 22.02.2.1 and TrueNAS 13.0-U1 are available and continue to mature.

Given this variety of choices, this post aims to provide advice on when and if you should update to the latest versions of TrueNAS based on where and how you use TrueNAS.

In all cases for TrueNAS Enterprise, we recommend contacting iX Support prior to updating. Our Support team can provide advice based on your requirements, help with best practice recommendations, and be there to help you resolve any unexpected issues. We are here to assist.

Where / How Do You Use TrueNAS?
Luu6tLlSQBLlbluSi1NKxQSSuMyKrJe-hAEnvJvxbo8UO4aV3c6xp_rb0X_mrUpn3tXdjeKNVTLVlTEnnlAa23vDF1GUTfEhDhfUk7LiJGnhzzLBdRGlV9yksPYIy9FO1xXKIdn39aNVR5A-T3GXlSI

TrueNAS 12.0
TrueNAS 12.0-U8.1 is the highest quality release of TrueNAS and is currently the most widely deployed. As you may be aware, TrueNAS 11.3 is no longer being deployed and therefore, we recommend all 11.3 systems be updated to TrueNAS 12.0 for security, quality, and support reasons. If you are a General, Conservativ user, or have Mission Critical Data you should stick with this version for now.

TrueNAS 13.0 and 13.0-U1
For those with TrueNAS CORE 12.0 installed on your system(s), that do not require the stability and don’t mind a few bugs, you can now upgrade to TrueNAS 13.0-U1. The primary benefits of TrueNAS 13.0 are faster failover and boot times, SMB security, and All-Flash performance improvements. TrueNAS 13.0 is the natural successor for TrueNAS 12.0 and supports the previous feature set with a very simple update process.

TrueNAS 13.0-U1, which has been released, will have security and performance improvements that should have a positive impact on both CORE and Enterprise systems. The maturity of TrueNAS 13.0 is not yet as high as TrueNAS 12.0 so we recommend having a reason for the update if everything is otherwise functioning well on TrueNAS 12.0.

TrueNAS SCALE
TrueNAS SCALE provides capabilities such as Containers, Scale-out, and Hyperconvergence. This is a major and exciting innovation for TrueNAS and is required in the major transition of TrueNAS from FreeBSD to Linux. This transition touched many areas of the software and needs significantly more Community testing to get to a similar level of maturity as TrueNAS 12.0.

TrueNAS SCALE is making very good progress with over 21,000 systems deployed. However, for storage-only workloads (SMB, NFS, iSCSI), TrueNAS 12.0 and TrueNAS 13.0 are more mature and often higher performing. We do not recommend migrating to SCALE unless you fall under the user type of Developer, Early Tester or Beta Tester. TrueNAS SCALE has inherited some of the maturity and automated testing of TrueNAS 12.0 and has yet to complete its enterprise software quality lifecycle.

TrueNAS SCALE 22.02.2 includes planned new functionality for High Availability. In this release, there are known bugs that still need to be ironed out in the HA code. We recommend testing and evaluation of HA be planned only for TrueNAS SCALE 22.02.3, which is scheduled for release in August 2022. This is a major step toward supporting HA needs for storage, as well as KVM and Linux Apps.

For users with immediate needs for TrueNAS SCALE, iX has an Early Access Support Program to support specific deployments and applications before they complete testing and enter the production phase. Please contact your iX Account Representative for more information, or email us at info@iXsystems.com.

We are Here to Help

If you have any additional questions or need advice on a new project, please contact us. We are always standing by to help.

Last edited:

Apollo

Wizard
I might attempt to upgrade my backup system again for the second or third time but what is it about this inconsistency in the state of reliability advertise on IX System website and on the System/update of my TrueNAS 12.0-U8.1?
Apparently, I can't upload a screeshot comaprison of what is advertised on the IX system website and my own TrueNas backup server Update page.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I can't believe iX thinks it's appropriate to reserve the second maintenance release after a major release for "early adopters." IOW, we're three releases into 13.0, and iX still trusts their testing processes so little that they still don't believe it's appropriate for general use (much less for conservative users). I guess that's better than the fiasco that was Corral The Release That Must Not Be Named, but...

Arwen

MVP
@danb35 - You've done it now. The Curse of the Release That Must Not Be Named, has been invoked, and now you will need to cleanse your spirit or bad things will happen!

Let's hope you don't use encryption, because the Curse could scramble your encryption credentials and make your data self inflicted ransomware.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I can't believe iX thinks it's appropriate to reserve the second maintenance release after a major release for "early adopters." IOW, we're three releases into 13.0, and iX still trusts their testing processes so little that they still don't believe it's appropriate for general use (much less for conservative users).

Enterprise environments are extremely risk-averse; vSphere 7.0 is over two years old, and I still know a lot of shops running 6.7 despite it going EOL in the fall. The comment from @wsoteros in the original post could likely be quoted verbatim from any C-level executive during a board meeting:

we recommend having a reason for the update if everything is otherwise functioning well

Depending on the business, that could apply to anything from core line-of-business software, to a piece of infrastructure like TrueNAS/vSphere/Windows, right down to the colour of signage in the parking lot.

plus i still use 11.1-U7 at home so i can't really judge anyone for not upgrading

danb35

Hall of Famer
Enterprise environments are extremely risk-averse;
Sure, but this recommendation is for "general" use of CORE, the free product. We're three releases into the 13.0 train, and iX doesn't yet recommend it for general use. That's, frankly, sad.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Sure, but this recommendation is for "general" use of CORE, the free product. We're three releases into the 13.0 train, and iX doesn't yet recommend it for general use. That's, frankly, sad.
This isn’t any different from the 11 or 12 releases. iX’s policy is general availability doesn’t occur until U2.

Volts

Patron
Is Nightly a real thing?

TrueNAS-13.0-Nightlies -> 202205050459
TrueNAS-13.1-Nightlies -> 202206240813

craigdt

Explorer
On the following page:

I interpret that U1 means its gone through 7 complete QA cycles and considered its typical use for Business use.

Based on the chart at the start of the thread, does that mean 13.0-U1.1 is for Early Adopting Businesses ?
:tongue:

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems

Hi @danb35

More technically, TrueNAS 13.0 has had RELEASE and U1. with a hotpatch for U1.1. We count that as two "releases"

We think TrueNAS 13.0-U1.1 is very good.... probably as good as 12.0-U8.1. However, 13.0 has had less than 2% of the field test time that 12.0. For that reason we are cautious, even if optimistic. 13.0-U2 will be slightly better and the test time is growing quickly. We expect to be able to promote it to "general" use, but probably after a few weeks of field testing.

We define "general" as "Field tested software with mature features. Few issues are expected." that definition does not allow us to state its for "general" use until field testing is more comprehensive. Is that unreasonable?

The update of the software-status table is now live at https://www.truenas.com/software-status/

We're always looking for feedback on how best to address this complex issue, but please assume its with the goal of protecting users from their own and our mistakes. Only some people have the skills to handle technical issues easily. We don't expect to eliminate all bugs... just reduce them with time.

Last edited by a moderator:

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Hi @danb35

More technically, TrueNAS 13.0 has had RELEASE and U1. with a hotpatch for U1.1. We count that as two "releases"

We think TrueNAS 13.0-U1.1 is very good.... probably as good as 12.0-U8.1. However, 13.0 has had less than 2% of the field test time that 12.0. For that reason we are cautious, even if optimistic. 13.0-U2 will be slightly better and the test time is growing quickly. We expect to be able to promote it to "general" use, but probably after a few weeks of field testing.

We define "general" as "Field tested software with mature features. Few issues are expected." that definition does not allow us to state its for "general" use until field testing is more comprehensive. Is that unreasonable?

The update of the software-status table is now live at https://www.truenas.com/software-status/

We're always looking for feedback on how best to address this complex issue, but please assume its with the goal of protecting users from their own and our mistakes. Only some people have the skills to handle technical issues easily. We don't expect to eliminate all bugs... just reduce them with time.

We now recommend 13.0-U3.1 for all CORE and Enterprise users. It's probably the highest quality release we have ever had.

The software-status table is now live at https://www.truenas.com/software-status/

sretalla