What to look for in a UPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STREBLO

Patron
I'm trying to pick out a UPS for my home server and I've seen a lot of conflicting information. I know I need to get a UPS that is supported by NUT but beyond that I have no idea. I've seen a few threads where people are recommending SMART-UPS, BACK-UPS and other ones where people are just saying get anything on the NUT compatibility list. Is there any type of UPS I should be looking for, is simulated sine wave okay or should I only look for pure sine wave UPS's? Also, are certain drivers better supported I should look for?

Also, on NUT how important are the ratings?

Support level legend
* protocol based on reverse engineering
** based on fragments of publicly available protocol
*** based on publicly available protocol
**** vendor provided protocol
***** vendor provided protocol and hardware

Last edited:

tvsjr

Guru
APCs have developed quite a tendency to cook their batteries. I've installed a few Cyberpower PFC units lately and have been happy with them, but I'm uncertain of their NUT capacity. At a minimum, PFC (power factor correcting) units are required for the more super-efficient power supplies. Pure-sine is really best, if you can afford it.

Whatever you choose, please ensure you make a plan to replace the batteries on a schedule. They don't last forever.

STREBLO

Patron
I'm powering a 550W PSU, how above that should I go?

This CyberPower looks good, 600W, PFC, pure sine, but it's rated ** "based on fragments of publicly available protocol" with usbhid-ups driver. Should I worry about that?

Starpulkka

Contributor
QUESTION What to look for in a UPS?
Answer:
Well i look Watts and VA and sinewave quality and battery replacement prices, so i dont select model witch has unique size battery that sizes cant be bought on local batteryshop. I actually keep that battery size most important on my list , so i dont have to pay 450€ on a special battery, than i just can buy exact same values battery witch dont have logo extra just about 100€.
Edit: and now everyone thinks i use some chinese batteries, no i dont use crap china battery, dont buy cheap batteries they will expolode on heavy usage.

INCSlayer

Contributor
I have a Eaton 3S 700 which has very good NUT support but im not sure on if its a "good" ups but it has done it's job fine for me.

STREBLO

Patron
I have a Eaton 3S 700 which has very good NUT support but im not sure on if its a "good" ups but it has done it's job fine for me.
I noticed Eatons all have ***** so maybe i'll look into getting one of those.

Does anyone know how well usbhid-ups works, that's what CyberPower uses and people were recommending them in other threads which is why I was looking for one but they are mostly ** drivers.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Cyberpowers work fine with but sometimes you get issues that requires a configuration edit. I have one and I get stale ups errors if I don't increase the timeout.

STREBLO

Patron
Does anyone have experience with the CP1500PFCLCD? It looks perfect for me, pure sine wave, enough wattage, but I've been reading a bunch of threads where people say they are getting “stale -check driver” . Other than that it looks perfect for me but I don't want to get it if it's going to give me problems. Could anyone confirm if this is working? It uses a driver meant for the CP100PFCLCD so that is the only other thing I'm worried about.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I have that UPS and am happy with it. I do get the stale messages sometimes, but they don't seem to affect its operation.

STREBLO

Patron
I have that UPS and am happy with it. I do get the stale messages sometimes, but they don't seem to affect its operation.
OK, i'm ordering one then. They're well priced with not bad compatibility.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I believe cyberpower is a subsidiary of apc or apc and cyberpower are owned by same parent company.
I'm fairly certain that's not the case.

APC was relatively recently bought by Schneider Electric, but Cyberpower is, as far as I can tell, an independent company.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I'm fairly certain that's not the case.

APC was relatively recently bought by Schneider Electric, but Cyberpower is, as far as I can tell, an independent company.
Having now reviewed actual facts (rather than spouting off half-remembered third-hand information) I concur.

Status
Not open for further replies.