Votes: 4 16.0%
  • BlueWalker

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceetan

Contributor
As some of you may have seen, I have had issues with my UPS recently: It is one of the parts i researced the least, so that probably to be expected. I do not intend to make the same mistake gain however,

So i intend to find out t what models of UPS people use. (Hence the brand poll): I added the options that seem to be available here in Sweden

My current observation is that Cyberpower to offer more features at a similar prices point compared to APC but there is more I need to know.

What is the difference between true sine-wave and approximated dito? Is the former worth the extra expense?

m0nkey_

MVP
I have a Cyberpower UPS hooked up to my FreeNAS box. I use APC on my workstation. Both have been very reliable.

scrappy

Patron
I currently have a CyberPower CP1500PFCD connected to my FreeNAS server and it works very well. Before that, I had an older CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD hooked up to my FreeNAS box that I purchased 6 or 7 years ago. After replacing the batteries in it a few months back, it has now been re-purposed for my pfSense firewall, switch and modem.
cyberpower.jpg

Arwen

MVP
APC Backup Pro 500, (if I remember correctly).

Note that some UPSes don't use the normal FreeNAS / FreeBSD devices. My APC used the HID USB device. That was not a menu option, so I had no clue. Ran without it for a long time till I have a chance to research it.

Now it's a bit easier in FreeNAS. The documentation on the issue has been, (or will be), updated. Plus, I think the later versions include the USB HID devices in the FreeNAS UPS menu for device selection.

Last edited:
I have a CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD. I have my FreeNAS box, modem, router & switch plugged into it. No issues setting up the UPS service. It's rated to support Active PFC power supplies/Pure Sine Wave.

In the time when I was researching what UPS to buy, I think I read a thread in this forum that some (high-efficiency) power supplies may not like the simulated sine wave.

Redcoat

MVP
I have a CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD.
I have my two servers on that UPS, no complaints. I have a couple of APC's that have been OK but battery life seems short - I suspect that their charging circuits are relatively aggressive and stress the cells. I will buy CyberPower next time now I have the better benchmark.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Cyberpower as well, 1500VA. Can't remember the model and right now I don't feel like looking at it. The Cyberpower's also seem to last longer battery wise, the APC ones like to cook the batteries and there is a thread around here where it was recently being discussed.

As far as modified vs true sine wave https://www.altestore.com/blog/2015/10/pure-sine-wave-vs-modified-sine-wave-whats-the-difference/

A modified sine wave is digital looking on a scope sometimes there are multiple "steps" but for a pc it doesn't really matter since you are creating DC out of it anyway. Most PSU's can honestly be ran on 110V dc where they basically just become transformers. Where the sine wave really matters is if you have an AC motor. So say plug a fan into a battery backup and turn it on. Pull the plug on the battery backup and the fan will continue to run but on a modified or clipped sine wave it will drop speed some and sound like it is grinding.

Adrian

Contributor
My UPS at home (where most of my computers reside) is a very old APC 1500. Only a serial port. Original APC batteries lasted about 7 years. A cheaper replacement kit lasted 3. Currently using intermediate priced badged as APC but probably are not. It has saved me from trouble many times. Since I installed it I have had no power damaged kit. A power bounce just a couple of hours ago.

At my mother's home I have a Cyberpower, with a USB connection to a Windows machine. It powers that, a remote FreeNAS box and the comms kit. I have not yet got round to seeing if apcupsd will work.

It strikes me that Cyberpower are cheaper than equivalent APS units.

Personally, I prefer pure sine wave. I've seen scope displays for "modified" sine waves that looked like square waves.

tvsjr

Guru
Cyberpower. I got tired of trying to shoehorn swollen batteries out of APC units... and, when one farted fire, that was the end of APC for me.

I have a 3KVa online UPS + battery pack and metered-by-outlet PDU in the server closet. I've also got a 2.2KVa unit in my office (powers most everything), and 3 1.5KVa units scattered throughout the house (entertainment center, her office, etc.) They just work. I've had one issue with the very first one I bought. Called them up... it was out of warranty, but a known problem. They cross-shipped me (without giving a credit card or anything) a brand new unit and sent a return label for the old one, at no cost.

Linkman

Patron
I have both APC and CyberPower. One APC BR1500G Back-UPS Pro (1500 VA 865 Watts), and one CyberPower GX1325U (1325 VA 810 Watts). The CyberPower claims pure sine wave output, and the APC has the ability to add an external battery if I ever want to extend the run time..

Bought the APC when I built the FreeNAS box, and then later added the CyberPower, so that now both are sitting on the desk (vertical models) and by adding the CyberPower I was able to put everything that's "important" on battery backup, and replace the mish-mash of smaller APC BackUps that sat on the floor before. Much cleaner now.

I acquired 2 new old stock Liebert GXT2 2000 for very cheap no really preference for them just a bargain to good to pass on. They had everything I was looking for, user online replaceable batteries, rack mount and battery capacity expandable. 2 Tripp Lite Smart1500LCDT for desktops I've used other Tripp Lite products and been happy with them, batteries are readily available (same pack#'s as APC)

PhilipS

Contributor
I use Cyberpower (PFC pure sign wave models rack mount and pedestal units) at home and work and they have been reliable (four years at the office, and two at home so far). I haven't had to replace the batteries yet. I have used APC before at the office (SmartUPS 1500 RM I believe), but found the utility to be more reliable than the load output on them (sigh), maybe they were defective - batteries tested okay and they were only loaded to about 40% capacity, but it was on two separate units.

Status
Not open for further replies.