What should I use as a "nameserver"?

hAtul

Dabbler
So I went through my configs after updating, something I didn't do for a long time.
I noticed that the name server has the Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
And I was like, "wow, maybe this is what slows down my Plex" (?). my main router is already set to that dns.

I removed it, and wasn't able to do stuff like
- update the Plex jail server.
- download subtitles through the app
- cloning git repos in the jail server.
- pinging 8.8.8.8 worked for some reason. didn't try pinging google.com, but I guess it wouldn't have worked.

So it seems like TrueNAS is not using the default nameserver of the main router by itself.
I went on and wrote the ip of my (main) router as the nameserver, 192.168.1.1, which is exactly what I have set as a "Default Gateway".
This of-course didn't work.

Am I suppose to use the router ip it's connected to?

To clear things out, my current improvised routers setup goes like this:
The terrible ISP router (192.168.1.1)
=> LAN wire connected to my main TP-Link AX50 (set up as an "access point", don't ever get this router it's real crap) (192.168.1.14)
=> Tenda AC11 set to "Repeater" mode (192.168.1.19)
=> The Tenda router is connected via LAN cable to the TrueNAS server.
*All the routers are "ruled" by the ISP router. there is no other sub networks. they all use 192.168.1.x.

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
What nameserver does the router hand out via DHCP? That's the one you should probably use. Just use e.g. ipconfig /all on a connected Windows PC cat /etc/resolv.conf on a Mac.

hAtul

Dabbler
What nameserver does the router hand out via DHCP? That's the one you should probably use. Just use e.g. ipconfig /all on a connected Windows PC cat /etc/resolv.conf on a Mac.
Connecting via wifi to the Tenda router, I get this:
nameserver 2a00:a040:0:200::1
nameserver 2001:4860:4860::8888
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
So that's what you need to use. The ISP seems to cheap out of providing proper infrastructure services to their customers.

hAtul

Dabbler
So that's what you need to use. The ISP seems to cheap out of providing proper infrastructure services to their customers.
as I wrote before. I changed the ISP DNS to googles DNS (I tested both, and the ISP DNS is terrible).
It's just that the other 2 routers, and any device that is connected to the routers picks up the DNS automatically.

Thanks for your help!

awasb

Patron
Build your own (recursive) DNS. It adds another level of redundancy. And it‘s even better than 8.8.8.8 (not just performance wise).