SOLVED What is this on the side of my Supermicro 2U?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrappy

Patron
I am preparing to upgrade from a Supermicro 1U to a Supermicro 2U server I purchased from eBay. As I prepared to start up my new server for the first time I realized that I had no clue where to power it on from! There is not an actual physical power button on the front like my 1U had. It wasn't until I happened to pull off a piece of tape with some plastic covering a metal ribbon on the left side of the chassis near the front that the server came roaring to life. Can anybody tell me what this ribbon is and does?

ab7b7dda6ea3f6c76c21d5fc7d99ca6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I am preparing to upgrade from a Supermicro 1U to a Supermicro 2U server I purchased from eBay. As I prepared to start up my new server for the first time I realized that I had no clue where to power it on from! There is not an actual physical power button on the front like my 1U had. It wasn't until I happened to pull off a piece of tape with some plastic covering a metal ribbon on the left side of the chassis near the front that the server came roaring to life. Can anybody tell me what this ribbon is and does?

ab7b7dda6ea3f6c76c21d5fc7d99ca6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My guess: it's the ribbon connector to the power button and status lights on your left rack ear... which seems to be missing.

scrappy

Patron
My guess: it's the ribbon connector to the power button and status lights on your left rack ear... which seems to be missing.

Thanks. I know there's a bag with some parts the eBay seller stuffed into a drive bay. I have not opened it up yet but will when I get home tonight. It would make sense. Since my old Supermicro 1U had power/reset buttons on the front panel I was unaware other models might have those controls built into the rack ear.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Thanks. I know there's a bag with some parts the eBay seller stuffed into a drive bay. I have not opened it up yet but will when I get home tonight. It would make sense. Since my old Supermicro 1U had power/reset buttons on the front panel I was unaware other models might have those controls built into the rack ear.
Well, it's just a guess... but hopefully you'll find rack ears, one of which the ribbon cable plugs in to, and all will be well. :smile:

scrappy

Patron
@Spearfoot Yes, you are correct! Thanks again.

IMG_4265.jpg
IMG_4266 copy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.