What file sharing service for CloudBerry

hansch

Explorer
Hi!
I have been trying to build a backup system for my home and home office systems using CloudBerry and minio running on FreeNAS.

I have been working for weeks on this, and for the past 5 days it seemed to work pretty well (apart from backing up Windows 7 systems, having to do with .NET and TLS 1.2).

But if I'm honest, this journey has been riddled with problems.

Some of the problems include:

- FreeNAS not writing minio config files
- Certificate installation problems (having to do with a bundle ca)
- TLS problems (some systems do not support TLS 1.2, and CloudBerry is not very good at solving those problems, because they are dependant on .Net versions and configs
- And now minio is crashing my FreeNAS system:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/minio-memory-usage-through-the-roof.73135/

So... it might be wise to look out for different ways to store those backups.
Especially if it takes long for the minio programmers to solve it (most people solved it by moving to different hardware, or by changing their config on Windows systems)

(No, I'm not [yet] falling back on S3, or Azure, Backblaze or Wasabi. I invested in a server, a controller and 8 disks (8 TB each).

The requirements are:

0. Compatible with CloudBerry
1. Reliable
2. Safe
3. Preferably multi tenant (I might give other persons access)
4. Fast

Any thoughts about that? Or do I have to try a different NAS like system? Or do I have to try e.g. SCP and find out that it is not safe enough? et cetera.
I'm not (yet) ready to ditch FreeNAS altogether because of your compelling story that ZFS is the way to store files safely.

As an overall experience, I rate FreeNAS + Minio a 6 out of 10. That might change, but a solution must be found soon.

hansch

Explorer
No. The minio bug is reported here https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/71875 and it is assagned, and its status is:
  • Status changed from Unscreened to In Progress

but I am not sure they can even reproduce it.
For the moment, I just restart minio every day.

hansch

Explorer
It seems like this combination (Cloudberry, minio, freenas, and this hardware) does not work. For that particular end point (Server being backed up) I switched to Image backup (instead of File Backup). That means not storing 4 Million files in one directory (bucket), but rather a few tens. It seems to go well this way, no more minio lockups.