What does IPMI configuration in WebGUI do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danb35

Hall of Famer
My FreeNAS server is built on a SuperMicro X9SCL-F-O motherboard with onboard IPMI. The IPMI BMC has its own physical network interface, its own management utilities, its own Web GUI, and its own configuration settings in the BIOS setup.

I see in the 9.2.1 manual that FreeNAS includes IPMI configuration. It's not clear to me, though, just what it does--is it just a fourth way to configure the same settings that I can set up through the BIOS, through the Web GUI, and through SuperMicro's management utilities? Or does FreeNAS somehow manage the IPMI BMC directly? Put differently, am I missing anything by configuring the BMC directly through its own utilities, rather than using FreeNAS to do it?

J

jkh

I missing anything by configuring the BMC directly through its own utilities, rather than using FreeNAS to do it?

Nope. The IPMI configuration menu in FreeNAS just gives you a GUI short-cut for doing some of the most basic IPMI configuration. If you're comfortable using the BMC utilities, by all means use them instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.