What are your ARC statistics?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
That's why I included the pools sizes and asked for the data/usage types. But nanodec has deleted some lines, that's why the last stats are useless.

To all members: I'm very concerned by the privacy so I'll never put some kind of private data extractor in my scripts. But, if you're still not comfortable with what the script outputs, then I'm ok with that, but just don't post your stats at all in this case ;)

Last edited:

JJT211

Patron
Oh hey, my apologies if I came off as sarcastic or whatever, it wasnt my intention at all! I'm just very, very curious with the stats hardware relationship.

And I wasnt implying you manipulate the script or extract hardware info. By "header" I meant just add a line (like your data type line) to encourage people to post their specs

For example:

• Put your system specs here
  • Put your data type(s) here..."
  • 838MiB / 14.5GiB (freenas-boot)
  • 7.51TiB / 14.5TiB (volume)
  • 24.46GiB (MRU: 19.79GiB, MFU: 4.70GiB) / 32.00GiB
  • Hit ratio -> 86.45% (higher is better)
  • Prefetch -> 18.12% (higher is better)
  • Hit MFU:MRU -> 80.60%:16.75% (higher ratio is better)
  • Hit MRU Ghost -> 0.17% (lower is better)
  • Hit MFU Ghost -> 0.70% (lower is better)
My fault though, as when I think back to my C++ class, I prob misused the term "header"

Bidule0hm

No problem, didn't think you was sarcastic or whatever ;)

The line about privacy and co was for all members. I now see how you can read it as an answer to your post, sorry about that, I've edited the post to make it clear.

The thing is, you don't need to know the CPU/MB/PSU/Case/... The only hardware thing you need is the RAM size and it's already in the data :)

nanodec

Dabbler
I wanted to include all of it, but it didn't seem to want to spit out everything that your posts had. I did a copy/paste into a shell.. was that not the way to do it?

Bidule0hm

Ah ok. No, you need to put it in a script file ;)

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Updating my report with modified usage and reconfigured pool:
  • Backup destination for 3 Macs & 1 Windows 7 PC, 2-4 512MB VirtualBox VMs running Ubuntu Server 14.04, storage for movies shared over NFS
  • 2.31GiB / 3.59GiB (freenas-boot)
  • 1.11TiB / 7.27TiB (pool0)
  • 10.54GiB (MRU: 7.64GiB, MFU: 2.93GiB) / 16.00GiB
  • Hit ratio -> 91.54% (higher is better)
  • Prefetch -> 33.11% (higher is better)
  • Hit MFU:MRU -> 77.80%:19.73% (higher ratio is better)
  • Hit MRU Ghost -> 0.20% (lower is better)
  • Hit MFU Ghost -> 0.58% (lower is better)

DataKeeper

Patron
Slowly moving stuff over but loving the fact I have a crap load of free space now and 6 bays remaining. My old single drives were busting at capacity.

• System: FileServ - Running for 19 days
  • Everything! but mostly backups of DVD/BRs, Music CDs, Photos & Gaming Console Disks. Plex streaming music 24/7 and video more often then not.
  • 3.27GiB / 59.5GiB (freenas-boot)
  • 3.05TiB / 65.2TiB (garage)
  • 46.65GiB (MRU: 39.57GiB, MFU: 7.12GiB) / 64.00GiB
  • Hit ratio -> 97.01% (higher is better)
  • Prefetch -> 87.95% (higher is better)
  • Hit MFU:MRU -> 92.90%:4.76% (higher ratio is better)
  • Hit MRU Ghost -> 0.01% (lower is better)
  • Hit MFU Ghost -> 0.04% (lower is better)

nanodec

Dabbler
Got around for writing/running that script... hopefully this looks right:
Lots of stuff - backups, music, etc.
528MiB / 14.5GiB (freenas-boot)
375GiB / 4.53TiB (pool1)
11.47GiB (MRU: 9.96GiB, MFU: 1.56GiB) / 16.00GiB
Hit ratio -> 98.56% (higher is better)
Prefetch -> 12.38% (higher is better)
Hit MFU:MRU -> 99.69%:0.23% (higher ratio is better)
Hit MRU Ghost -> 0.00% (lower is better)
Hit MFU Ghost -> 0.00% (lower is better)

What is and why is my prefetch % so low?

DataKeeper

Patron
@nanodec I'm guessing you just recently rebooted? A reboot wipes the cache clean and takes days, weeks or even a month or so on a less used server to repopulate the date. Give it a week or so and try it again.

btw.. See the first post where questions should be posted to THIS thread. This one should only be for stat postings. @Bidule0hm .. Perhaps edit the first post, move that line to the top and bold it :D

nanodec

Dabbler
@nanodec I'm guessing you just recently rebooted? A reboot wipes the cache clean and takes days, weeks or even a month or so on a less used server to repopulate the date. Give it a week or so and try it again.

btw.. See the first post where questions should be posted to THIS thread. This one should only be for stat postings. @Bidule0hm .. Perhaps edit the first post, move that line to the top and bold it :D
Hey @DataKeeper - it was on it's 24th day of uptime when I ran the script. It's not put under much load at all, mostly myself accessing it periodically.. otherwise it's idling...

Bidule0hm

@DataKeeper Bolded it, thanks for the suggestion ;)

@nanodec I answered on the other thread :)

@all Thanks for the stats.

blairjj

Cadet
  • 1.03TiB / 9.06TiB (Media)
  • 2.94GiB / 15.1GiB (freenas-boot)
  • 9.94GiB (MRU: 8.61GiB, MFU: 2.77GiB) / 16.00GiB
  • Hit ratio -> 91.57% (higher is better)
  • Prefetch -> 31.06% (higher is better)
  • Hit MFU:MRU -> 87.79%:11.83% (higher ratio is better)
  • Hit MRU Ghost -> 0.02% (lower is better)
  • Hit MFU Ghost -> 0.16% (lower is better)

kspare

Guru
  • Put your data type(s) here...
  • 2.05TiB / 19.9TiB (ESXi)
  • 5.50GiB / 696GiB (freenas-boot)
  • 44.65GiB (MRU: 30.53GiB, MFU: 14.12GiB) / 64.00GiB
  • Hit ratio -> 79.03% (higher is better)
  • Prefetch -> 27.47% (higher is better)
  • Hit MFU:MRU -> 69.55%:25.31% (higher ratio is better)
  • Hit MRU Ghost -> 0.66% (lower is better)
  • Hit MFU Ghost -> 1.10% (lower is better)

8 terminal servers and 8 file servers.

KTrain

Dabbler
As a Windows who guy who doesn't know up-from-down when it comes to Linux can anyone refer me to a forum post or guide for uploading this and running it against my FreeNAS system? I found some instructions but haven't been able to get it to execute properly (Fails to run with "command not found"). Thanks in advance for any assistance.

DataKeeper

Patron
@KTrain First.. are you using the Shell window from the web display? If so stop, Google and download the 'Putty' ssh client and use that. Its pretty much the defacto free ssh client and is much better then that shell window.

Once you have Putty and have sshed into the freenas box use an editor, such as 'nano', to open a file such as.. "nano arc_stats" (without the quotes).
Now copy and paste the script from here.. http://pastebin.com/WBmxnikK
To Save the file press CTRL-X ; then y and then enter.. this will be clear when doing it as per the prompts. :)
Now make it executable by typing "chmod 700 arc_stats" (again.. without the quotes).
Now call it by typing "./arc_stats" (thats right.. without the quotes.

This should execute the script and output the data you see here in posts. Just copy and paste it here to submit.

Hope this helps.

KTrain

Dabbler
@KTrain First.. are you using the Shell window from the web display? If so stop, Google and download the 'Putty' ssh client and use that. Its pretty much the defacto free ssh client and is much better then that shell window.

Once you have Putty and have sshed into the freenas box use an editor, such as 'nano', to open a file such as.. "nano arc_stats" (without the quotes).
Now copy and paste the script from here.. http://pastebin.com/WBmxnikK
To Save the file press CTRL-X ; then y and then enter.. this will be clear when doing it as per the prompts. :)
Now make it executable by typing "chmod 700 arc_stats" (again.. without the quotes).
Now call it by typing "./arc_stats" (thats right.. without the quotes.

This should execute the script and output the data you see here in posts. Just copy and paste it here to submit.

Hope this helps.

DataKeeper,

Thank you very much for responding to my question. I half-expected that I'd be shunned away for what I'd assume is extreme ignorance on the subject on Linux administration. That said, after some poking and prodding I figured out how to run the script and ended up with this. My results look pretty broken. This is likely because I'm still in a "testing" phase and am missing a lot of configuration. Never the less, my results are below.

• Put your data type(s) here...
  • 330MiB / 832GiB (L01PLFNASSN01-T2-VOL01)
  • 703MiB / 29.8GiB (freenas-boot)
    usage: awk [-F fs] [-v var=value] [-f progfile | 'prog'] [file ...]
    /management/scripts/ARC_STATS.sh: {print $6 $7}: not found
    /management/scripts/ARC_STATS.sh: {print $6 $7}: not found
    /management/scripts/ARC_STATS.sh: {print $4}: not found
    /management/scripts/ARC_STATS.sh: {print $4}: not found
    /management/scripts/ARC_STATS.sh: {print $5}: not found
    /management/scripts/ARC_STATS.sh: {print $5}: not found
  • 479.42MiB (MRU: , MFU: ) / 160.00
  • Hit ratio -> 97.94% (higher is better)
  • Prefetch -> (higher is better)
  • Hit MFU:MRU -> : Most Recently Used:7.56% 29.94k (higher ratio is better)
  • Hit MRU Ghost -> (lower is better)
  • Hit MFU Ghost -> (lower is better)

As a side note, I'm pursuing this so I can use the data to work with peers on understanding the technology a bit more so I'm expecting garbage results until my deployment is actually done.

Thanks again for all your help.

DataKeeper

Patron
@KTrain nah.. everyone starts with extreme ignorance until they learn a bit. If people see you making an attempt then most are willing to help. Some show-up expecting perfect answers and explanations without researching first and those folks can be shunned. ;)

Ohh and btw FreeNAS isn't Linux.. its based on FreeBSD. :D

Bidule0hm

@KTrain Nop, it should work. I guess some lines were cut and/or broken in the copy/paste process. Re-open the script with nano and check that everything looks like the pastebin ;)

nanodec

Dabbler
@KTrain - it's all good. We all started out learning the ropes at some point! FreeBSD and Linux systems are quite robust and configurable in what you are able to achieve. Much more so then your typical Windows boxes. Once you get your install setup to your liking, make sure you backup your configuration in the case you ever need to blow it away or decide some drunken evening to do some tweaking and kill your box! =D

Welcome to the circus!

<C>

Bidule0hm

I've added the uptime and changed the non-POSIX backquotes.