Weird CPU heat spikes.

ARKansans

Dabbler
I'm having some weird CPU heat spikes, jumping from 50°c up towards 90°c in few minutes then back down.
Been trying to figure out what's going on but i'm completely lost, found nothing helpful on google.
In the last spike my unifi AP crashed at the same time and had to be rebooted.
Also got this error in my email from netdata "10s received packets storm = 5818% " from around of one of the spikes.
I've included a screenshot of the CPU heat, one with long time and another with shorter time.
Can any one help me pinpoint the problem?
cpu2.png cpu.png
My system is
FreeNAS-11.2-U6
SSD system disk.
Intel® Server System P4308CP4MHEN
Intel® Server Board S2600CP4
2x Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2670 (32 cores)
Micron 32GB (4x 8GB) mt36kszf1g72pz-1g4d1dd
6x4TB Seagate NAS HDD ST4000VN000 4TB 64MB Cache in RAIDZ2
4x10tb running in badblock test atm.
1Gb fiber connection
PfSense router installed on a Dell r210 ii

Constantin

Vampire Pig
One option is to run WireShark and see what is happening during those spikes. You may also have luck running a pi-hole on one pi and a honeypi on another to see where the traffic originates from, where it's going, and so on.

I recently set up two pi's as my local DNS servers and I am very happy with their performance. Even better, the Edgerouter OS can load share among multiple DNS servers, allowing some level of redundancy.

Apollo

Wizard
My Threadripper 1900X Freenas built and PC (2950X) both are showing similar temperature spikes.
I think this is a normal behavior when it comes to high CPU core count.
Packet storm is triggered by Netdata, as far as I can tell. I get a lot of storm related messages as soon as I am dealing with Gbit/s file transfers.
Netdata isn't a smart piece of software and will trigger all sort of alarms whenever you start pushing your system a bit.
I get such warning when synchronizng some large ( above 1GB size files) on my Nextcloud iocage jail.)
I also get warnings when scrub is in progress.
Netdata can be tuned by addressing Netdata configs.
Netdata has been introduced shortly after Coral and no obvious advertising/instructional event as been marked back then, to educate the user on such system behavior.
Early on, was this introduced, but I must say with most low end perforing system, this might have be left uncovered.

ARKansans

Dabbler
One option is to run WireShark and see what is happening during those spikes. You may also have luck running a pi-hole on one pi and a honeypi on another to see where the traffic originates from, where it's going, and so on.

I recently set up two pi's as my local DNS servers and I am very happy with their performance. Even better, the Edgerouter OS can load share among multiple DNS servers, allowing some level of redundancy.
Thanks, i'll start up wireshark and see what it might tell me. Good idea on the Pi's, going to order me a couple tomorrow.
The system has been quiet for about 8 hours now, hope it will keep it that way.

My Threadripper 1900X Freenas built and PC (2950X) both are showing similar temperature spikes.
I think this is a normal behavior when it comes to high CPU core count.
Packet storm is triggered by Netdata, as far as I can tell. I get a lot of storm related messages as soon as I am dealing with Gbit/s file transfers.
Netdata isn't a smart piece of software and will trigger all sort of alarms whenever you start pushing your system a bit.
I get such warning when synchronizng some large ( above 1GB size files) on my Nextcloud iocage jail.)
I also get warnings when scrub is in progress.
Netdata can be tuned by addressing Netdata configs.
Netdata has been introduced shortly after Coral and no obvious advertising/instructional event as been marked back then, to educate the user on such system behavior.
Early on, was this introduced, but I must say with most low end perforing system, this might have be left uncovered.
Never heard about the heat spikes could be related to core count, just started noticing this behavior the day before yesterday, been running
that system for about 3 years now and about 5 months with FreeNas.
I've received the netdata flooding reports for awhile now, but mostly occurring when i'm moving files around and doing force recheck on torrent.
I haven't played much around with netdata yet, but will in close future, want to setup live monitor in the living room for security purposes and such.