Weird 9.3 to 9.10 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plato

Contributor
Ok, let me explain my situation.

When I first built my NAS, I used an old Sandisk Cruzer as boot drive. But then I saw several problems with the USB ( write errors / read errors etc.. ).

So I backed up my configuration, and reinstalled system on 2 Sandisk Cruzer Fit drives with mirroring.

The thing is backup was from 9.3...

And the new system is 9.10..

While it accepted the backup, it gave a lot of DB errors/warnings.. But it restored the system to its' previous state..

I was also using an SSD for the jails I use. Well, as far as I see the jails are still based on 9.3

I wouldn't make it a problem if system would still work like before.. But when I tried to compile a port it gave me an error that version doesn't match..

I executed portsnap fetch update & extract again.. But the error persists..

Is there an easy way to upgrade jail to latest version or should I install a new jail and import the settings from old one. It took about a week to build everything for that jail ( Sickrage/Couchpotato/Deluge etc.. ). So, I'm not fond of rebuilding the jail from beginning. But I want to expand my current jail and unfortunately because of port problem it doesn't seem to be possible.

BTW, I should have upgraded via WebUI maybe but it was not an option when the system is almost down. Could there be any side effects restoring 9.3 DB to 9.10? Could I expect a stable system after this or do you recommend starting over from Initial setup and importing zpools, and setting up shares?

D

dlavigne

This is a known issue with 9.10. If you intend to run pkg or upgrade any software in an existing 9.3.x jail, it won't work. You instead need to destroy the jails dataset, recreate it, and reinstall the jails so that they use the 10 template. This is mentioned in the release notes, but not worded quite as clearly as that.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Did you read the release notes? All old jails will still work. Creating or modifying 9.3 jails will not work. All new jails need a new jail dataset and will be freebsd 10.3. There has been some bugs around the 9.10 jails but I think they are getting fixed or fixed already.

Status
Not open for further replies.