WebGUI Navigation Tree Slow Loading or Fails to Load

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackydany

Explorer
Hello,

i have a problem with a fresh install of freenas 9.2.1.8 (also 9.2.1.7)

same problem is described here:
https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/5052

/*quote*/
New fresh install of 9.2.1.5-REALEASE. The machine is a dual Xeon 5150 with 8 gigs of ECC RAM, gigabit network. The menu bar / tree on the left side of the GUI is painfully slow, often over 30 seconds to load, and sometimes not loading at all. A browser refresh sometimes will reload the left side navigation tree but not always. It seems to hang on the fading blue "loading progress bars." The problem occurs in IE, Firefox, and Chrome, so it seems to be browser independent. It sometimes disappears after confirming something in another menu box in the main window. A forum thread suggests I am not the only one with the issue.

i have a xeon quad core CPU @ 2ghz
8gb ecc ram
i tried to install to usb stick and now its on sata harddrive 40gb
doesnt matter if zvol newly created or imported.
4x 1.5tb sata
1x 3tb sata

I hope you can give me a tip.

Thanks in advance!

Stefan

cyberjock

Inactive Account
We've explained this to a few people already. As soon as you start using CPUs that have FSBs, performance is going to be very poor. Basically any time the FSB gets saturated (which is super freaking easy with today's software) you will have performance problems. To make matters worse, the CPU can be almost idle and you can be dealing with a saturated FSB. So CPU usage is not an indicator of this bottleneck. ;)

You could try adding more RAM. There's no downside to adding RAM. Other than that I got nothing unless you are going to admit to using Realtek. ;)

jackydany

Explorer
Hi,

thank youn for your answer, i couldnt find any information but the bug-tracking about my problem.

Is it with a Xeon E5440 the same?
Waht kind of CPUs are affected?
Sorry for the stupid question, but was does FSB mean? Front side bus?
No way for more Ram, would be to Expensive :D

This performance problem, is it only on the webgui or is the zfs affected also? Could there be any dataloss etc or just the webgui not working as fast as i like it to be :D

Thank you very much.

Stefan

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
FSB is the Front-Side Bus, yeah.

All Intel processors older than Nehalem have FSBs. Nehalem still works fine and the core is not that much faster than the Core 2 core.

The FSB bottlenecks literally everything in the system. ZFS being memory-intensive contributes to the bottleneck.

jackydany

Explorer
So my Computer is not fast enough?

Even if there is NO traffic or whatever?
There is not even a cifs share or any user configured yet.

I cant really belive that.....

jackydany

Explorer
Hi,

what kind of computer do i need?
ecc ram of course. enough sata ports.
does a N54L HP microserver do the job?
What kind of CPUs? Boards etc? AMD Intel?

Please help me out. I really want to use FreeNas because of ZFS. It should be for my private memories aka fotos and videos. I want them to be safe!

Thank you

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hi,

what kind of computer do i need?
ecc ram of course. enough sata ports.
does a N54L HP microserver do the job?
What kind of CPUs? Boards etc? AMD Intel?

Please help me out. I really want to use FreeNas because of ZFS. It should be for my private memories aka fotos and videos. I want them to be safe!

Thank you

There's a hardware sticky that answers your question.

Some people have had success with those microserver things, but they're old and slowish.

I recommend you read the sticky, because it'll explain stuff in detail.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thanks, and your really think my xeon quad core Witz 8gb RAM is too slow?

As we've said, the FSB is a major bottleneck with ZFS. Because everything ends up in RAM, it ends up being transferred several times across the FSB, which is small as it is.

jackydany

Explorer
thanks a lot,
i read the sticky about hardware, but i think it is better for me to open a new thread about a cheap reliable system.

Thank you very much for your help and explenation.

Status
Not open for further replies.