Web Gui not Loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yes, but expect this to be a Chrome bug.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
William has confirmed this was fixed in source yesterday with a newer dojo version.

Pierce

Explorer
will that newer dojo version roll out soon? I'm seeing the same issue, latest chrome stopped working, firefox works fine. haven't tried IE

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It'll be in 11.1.

Pierce

Explorer
I'm having this problem with 9.10.2... was working fine with the previous version of Chrome, but last weeks update broke it, and now it just renders this:

Attachments

• freenas-broken.JPG
    freenas-broken.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 275

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Yes Google Chrome broke compatiblity with their latest update. I don't know if they are planning on putting this fix in to legacy versions. It may be worth filing a ticket and asking / referencing this thread.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'd like to add a few things:

1. The screenshot like what @Pierce posted, will be broken. It's not a browser problem and is a result of a web browser page that doesn't have enough horizontal length for things to work right. That problem has existed for more than 2 years, and is part of life if the screen isn't wide enough. I usually solve it by widening the screen (a refresh typically isn't required either). In particular, if you don't have enough horizontal area for the top row of buttons to appear, you'll have problems with the rendering.
2. 9.10.2-U2 though U5 has some kind of odd django and/or nginx problem (it could be on older versions, but the TrueNAS support team didn't see it until U2). When I saw it the 3-5 times I did, the pages 1/2 render, and then seem to stop as if nginx decides it has sent the whole page. The reporting tab was particular bad with none/some of the charts drawn, but the rest were not rendered. One of the developers tried to isolate the bug, but we could never isolate it. We don't know what triggers it. Since we were upgrading the version with 11.0, we chose to wait and see what 11.0 had to offer since it had an updated django and nginx. I haven't seen the problem that I saw in 11.0 at all, nor have I heard of any reports from TrueNAS customers that had the problem.
3. I've heard lots of reports of Chrome not working with the newer versions of FreeNAS and TrueNAS. I personally have never had a problem with it at all. Generally I recommend Chrome or Firefox first, then whatever you want to use as an alternative because they all generally get shaky. I realize this goes against what this thread says, I'm just sharing what I've personally seen, experienced, and recommend. Clearing browser caches and disabling addons fixes any problems I've seen with Chrome or Firefox. I haven't seen any problems with Chrome or Firefox on any 11.0 release that wasn't fix with clearing caches or disabling addons. /shrug

Pierce

Explorer
mine remains broken in Chrome 61.latest with a 1920x1200 maximized window. clearing the browser cache did NOT fix anything. All previous versions of chrome worked fine.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
1. The screenshot like what @Pierce posted, will be broken. It's not a browser problem and is a result of a web browser page that doesn't have enough horizontal length for things to work right. That problem has existed for more than 2 years, and is part of life if the screen isn't wide enough. I usually solve it by widening the screen (a refresh typically isn't required either). In particular, if you don't have enough horizontal area for the top row of buttons to appear, you'll have problems with the rendering.
I'd never heard that one. Works "fine" (it's horrible, but not completely broken) for me on Firefox:

upload_2017-10-3_22-48-47.png

styne666

Cadet

Here is a side-by-side with my current Chrome and IE versions on the same FreeNAS. I don't think what you're saying is correct in this instance.

3. I've heard lots of reports of Chrome not working with the newer versions of FreeNAS and TrueNAS. I personally have never had a problem with it at all. Generally I recommend Chrome or Firefox first, then whatever you want to use as an alternative because they all generally get shaky. I realize this goes against what this thread says, I'm just sharing what I've personally seen, experienced, and recommend. Clearing browser caches and disabling addons fixes any problems I've seen with Chrome or Firefox. I haven't seen any problems with Chrome or Firefox on any 11.0 release that wasn't fix with clearing caches or disabling addons. /shrug

Likewise, "I personally have never had a problem with [Chrome] at all", until now. ;)

This is almost certainly a Javascript problem (i.e Dojo) and sounds like a race condition. Forcibly altering the download speed can make it render correctly for me.

Attachments

• chrome.png
    chrome.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 258
  • ie.png
    ie.png
    96.8 KB · Views: 232

pchmt

Dabbler
I'd like to add a few things:

Well, I have tried all of those things and it is still not loading. I have been using Chrome exclusively for well over a year and the problems have recently surfaced. I have obliterated my cache repeatedly - even with no cache it still does not load (but does occasionally a single time after cache clearance then never again). I have NO addons and have a policy of not having any. Firefox has been my backup browser and it too has started exhibiting the same symptoms. Edge loads perfectly everytime.

Pierce

Explorer
there's a specific bug in Dojo triggering this. I was just told they WILL NOT FIX 9.10.2 but the fix should go into the next release of 11.

pchmt

Dabbler
Yes, I saw a similar suggestion earlier in the thread. That said, when is 11 being released, because this is a real pain! Firefox and IE both seem to be afflicted by this issue too, but Edge seems OK.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
11.1 is due mid- to late November, if beta goes well.

pchmt

Dabbler
Thanks. Is that on the stable train? Not quite sure what is and is not part of the stable set.

kdragon75

Wizard
I have seen this as well but it's only if I use the IP, if I use the hostname, it's fine. This makes me suspect its something about how the URLs are being built when using different "addresses". I know HTTP requests include the URL ie http://192.168.1.5/ vs http://freenas and that many web servers/sites can build URLs based on that but they may not always resolve correctly on the server and therefore the web server may be looking for a resource to include on the page at the wrong location. DNS can be a part of this as well as the host file(/etc/hosts).

I'm sure someone smarter than I can shed more light on this.

pchmt

Dabbler
I have seen it with both IP and URL addressing, but it SOMETIMES works if you swap between the two - but less and less so for some reason.

Tsaukpaetra

Patron
Awe damn, so it's... a Chrome update that broke it? :/ WTH...

So for those who don't have enough adventure in them to migrate their virtualbox VMs to bhyve (since that no longer works in 11+) will have... to... Suck it up?

Or is it cromulent enough to just replace the dojo js files (wherever/whatever they are)?

Status
Not open for further replies.