Web gui, administraive user issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjpd602

Cadet
Just recently setup Freenas 8.3.1, got through all the way to getting the ip address assigned to access my nas box (older computer) through the webgui.
The problem starts when trying to change the admin user from "admin" to my own. I enter my new user name and then hit "change admin user". this changes to :loading".
However it never does get past this point, tried changing the password same thing occurs.

Wondering what to try next.

I'm pretty sure the ip address that it assigned works, as it picks up the system information of the computer and when going to the "storage" tab it shows the 2 hard drives I have in the computer, however there is no "create volume" button showing.
Was wondering if I had to format the hard drives before proceeding ( thought this would be done through the web gui that I read in the Freenas document).

Any help would be appreciated, I did try searching through the FAQ's but did not come across this specific problem.

OneEyedJedi

Cadet
Did you get anywhere with this?
I got FreeNAS x86 running off of a 4GB USB flash drive last night and have the same situation. Network interfaces are functioning properly. The system starts up without any noticeable problems. Once started up, the WebUI is functional and can even be reached by using the system's Host Name, so I know DNS is functioning properly. It seems that any change I make in the WebUI (Admin User Name, Password, network configuration, or volume configuration) does not get retained.

I didn't have time to mess with it much longer at the time. Maybe this evening I'll get another opportunity to look into it.

gjpd602

Cadet
No haven't had any luck with this yet, reading the 260 page manual to see if I can figure out what's going on. May re-install from scratch off the cd and re-configure the network settings.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi gjpd602,

Does it work if you don't change the user? Is there any particular reason you are changing the user in the first place?

-Will

gjpd602

Cadet
After reading through the installation section of the official Freenas manual, I read in section 2.5 about issues with IE9 9( I have IE10 on win 7) where it states missing menu items which is the problem that I have. Everything to the left under the "expand all/collapse all" heading is totally blank in my web gui.
So I will download Firefox and retry setting up my configuration as suggested.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah. IE10 is NOT compatible with FreeNAS. Woohoo! LOL

gjpd602

Cadet
Yeah. IE10 is NOT compatible with FreeNAS. Woohoo! LOL

Yes that was the problem (using Firefox and can see everything) and yes most important to read the manual and your guide.
Plus taking care when using other websites "easy setup"" instructions for configuring Freenas.
That's was my initial mistake that I made.
Anyway problem solved and I'm on my way to configuration my storage options.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
IE10 was released after FreeNAS 8.3.1, so I wouldn't expect anyone to have tested compatibility let alone have closed a ticket that fixed a bug for IE10(unless the bug happened to be elsewhere).

MichelZ

Dabbler
IE 10 was released AFTER FreeNAS 8.3.1? Are you kidding me?
FreeNAS 8.3.1 was released on March 20, 2013
Windows 8 (and thus IE10) was RTM'ed on August 1, 2012
That was almost 8 Months time!!!!

Also, have a look at ticket #1868 which is the IE bug and has a status of "fixed" for 8.3.1-RELEASE.
But it still does not work here... :(

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ok, I guess I'll clarify. IE10 was pushed to me last week via Windows Update. I don't use IE regularly, so I don't go looking for any updates for it aside from the ones pushed by Windows Update. I thought 10 was released last week since that's when it was pushed to me. :P

MichelZ

Dabbler
Yes, it was released for Windows 7 just a few days ago.
That does not mean it was not AVAILABLE for longer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.