Weather web page?

danb35

Hall of Famer
This is really nothing at all to do with TrueNAS, though I guess it's possible that whatever answer I come up with could be hosted there... I'm looking for suggestions for a self-hosted weather web page that would take data from my own weather station, fed to it by WeeWX, and display it as an attractive, responsive web page. I'm currently using Meteotemplate, and it works well enough, but I'd like something that's F/OSS, and I'd like it to be a bit more up-to-date (the last update to Meteotemplate was 6 May 20). Bonus points if it can ingest the data I already have collected, but I guess that isn't essential.

Searching the web finds a lot of "upload your data to the cloud" solutions, but not many that are self-hosted. One that looks attractive is Weather Station, which is a WordPress plugin and is F/OSS--but it doesn't appear to have been updated in at least two years, has no activity on its forum in the past year, and hasn't been tested with the current major release of WordPress. Not to mention that I don't otherwise use WordPress, though I guess I could throw up a site easily enough.

Any other ideas of software to try here?

If you have an Ambient Weather station, this might be a possibility? Apparently it's cross-platform, open-source, and you can use a Grafana Dashboard. Nothing remote, all contained within the local network.

Unfortunately, it's restricted to Ambient Weather stations and requires a compatible and up-to-date Ambient Weather console: WS-2000 or WS-2902 (not sure about WS-5000).

EDIT: I can't test nor play around with anything, since I have a very low-end weather station that only sends data to the cloud. Ethernet connects to home router, data goes out to the cloud. Can't do anything before or in between.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I guess it would have been relevant to mention the station--it's a Davis Instruments Vantage Pro 2. The station itself is "dumb", but it has a serial port that can be (and is) connected to a computer to do reporting, graphing, etc., and I've been using WeeWX for that purpose.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
My interest is piqued, watching this one....

Arwen

MVP
Some people also send their data to the national weather service. (Though, they tend to have more complete home weather stations...). The national weather service sometimes likes the information. Knew someone who did that, he was the only weather station within 15 miles so it helped fine tune weather info. That's helpful because he was in tornado alley.

Knew someone who did that, he was the only weather station within 15 miles so it helped fine tune weather info. That's helpful because he was in tornado alley.

Wind Speed: 2 mph

Wind Speed: 10 mph

Wind Speed: 50 mph

Wind Speed: 75 mph

Wind Speed: N/A...

:tongue:

Arwen

MVP
Well, the barometer is also helpful to predict tornados.

I was not really aware that Kentucky got tornados until the last year or so.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Some people also send their data to the national weather service.
I do that, and to Weather Underground, and I think to one other place. And sure, I could log in to one of those to see what my station's reporting. But I'm trying to avoid relying on "the cloud."