SOLVED BSD browser compatibility? (FreeNAS web management interface & www.FreeNAS.org)

Status
Not open for further replies.

styr

Cadet
Greetings:

By way of a brief intro, I'm a total FreeNAS n00b, but I have been using FreeBSD as my main desktop OS for the last 14 years or so.

I freshly installed FreeNAS 9.10.1-U4. One of the first things I noticed was that the web management interface would not load at all upon logging in from some popular graphical browsers on FreeBSD. I get the same bad results from Chrome (Chromium), Firefox, and Konqueror. Browsers that work are Midori and Rekonq.

I am not sure where the best place is to post this thread, so "off-topic" seems appropriate. I found a similar thread here, but the errors are totally different. In my case, there are no error messages, only blank background where I would expect to see menus and such.

More specifically, here are the versions that work well:
Rekonq 2.4.2
Midori 0.5.11

Browsers that load the web login but nothing after successfully logging in:
Konqueror 4.14.3
Firefox 47.0
Chromium 51.0.2704.84 (plugins disabled)

Note that these browsers are all on PC-BSD (FreeBSD) 10.3-RELEASE-p5.

Also interesting to note is that the same browsers above that fail to load the FreeNAS web management interface also fail to load the FreeNAS mailing list subscription page (http://www.freenas.org/download/). Midori further throws errors for too many redirects. Rekonq works for this but slowly.

I'd think that the iXsystems web developers would test for browsers on their desktop platforms ;)
Can anyone else reproduce these issues on the same browsers on *BSD desktops, or is it just me?

Thanks in advance
:)

wblock

Documentation Engineer
I use Firefox without problems on FreeBSD 11 and 12. If you have some type of Javascript blocker like NoScript, scripts must be allowed on the FreeNAS management pages.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I have also had no issues connecting from PC-BSD and FreeBSD using chromium or firefox. FreeBSD DE I have used have been KDE and XFCE also with no issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

styr

Cadet
Thanks for these data points. I found the culprit at least for Firefox and Chromium. I didn't think that I was running script blockers, but it turns out that my ad blocker (uBlock Origin) was apparently causing the problems. It had not occurred to me to whitelist a LAN address for my ad blocker, but that did the trick (same also for freenas.org).

Status
Not open for further replies.