WD My Cloud no longer connects

Manbade

Cadet
I am a home user with a WD My cloud device and as you all know, WD stops supporting the device's internet connection.
I need a solution to continue using the disk, but only as a network disk and replace the internet access with another device (this is the problem I want to solve).
I have an Orange PI Pc that I can load with a NAS software like TrueNas or any other.
I will need to connect TrueNas with the WD disk working only as a network disk, is it possible and easy to make it work? Only TrueNas configuration?
In local mode I connect to the WD directly.
I make little use of the NAS, I only backup a folder on my laptop and copies online of the photos from my home phones.
I have 3Tb and in 8 years I have only used 2Tb.

If the solution is another, I will be grateful if you explain it to me.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Orange Pi is ARM and as far as I can see has 1GB of RAM... both of those things put you clearly out of the running to have TrueNAS.

You may be able to find other Linux-based NAS solutions (like OpenMediaVault https://openmediavault.readthedocs.io/en/5.x/prerequisites.html) which you would be able to satisfy the minimum requirements to run with that hardware.

Manbade

Cadet
Wow!!

I came to TrueNas via browser and didn't think it would require so much machine power.
I have already seen the minimum requirements and they are huge !!!
Thanks for the help, I will look for what you propose.
Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Greetings -

Welcome to these forums.

Please note that the main forums are English language, and you are expected to post in English here. We have a section for International discussion that includes a Spanish section, and you may post in Spanish there. Supporting multiple languages in the main forums is untenable. If you do not speak English natively, please know that we're fine with machine-translated messages from services such as Google Translate. These don't always work well, but we will still definitely try to help you!

I came to TrueNas via browser and didn't think it would require so much machine power.
I have already seen the minimum requirements and they are huge !!!

They're not really that bad. Ten years ago, embedded NAS systems commonly came with 128MB or 256MB of system memory and one or two low-GHz CPU cores. ZFS was never meant to run on such small platforms. These days, many cell phones or even Raspberry Pi 4B 8GB's are theoretically large enough to run TrueNAS if there was a port. Smaller platforms are still abundant, of course, just because they are practical for so many uses.