Copy 7TB from WD MyCloud Home to TrueNAS

zaidpirwani

Cadet
Hello,

I am a new user and tried to search for a similar problem but couldnt find much, except for one post which mentioned rsync but the data they need to copy is quite less.

I have recently installed TRUENAS CORE on an HP Z800 system, 12GB RAM, created 1 pool with 3 WD Red HDDs of 10TB and have created a Windows Share.

Now I want to copy data from WD MyCloud Home which has 8TB HDD and almost 7TB is full to my new NAS.
I thought this would be simple, remove HDD from MyCloud, put in the same machine and import disk, but apparently WD has some sort of non-simple file system and it does not show data on Windows/Linux machines.

Still tried to use IMPORT DISK, I dont think it will work, showing 24 partitions and I dont think the available file system options are correct.

So, what would be the BEST way to do this copy operation while the HDD is in the MyCloud and accessible locally via Windows Share?
I would ideally NOT want another laptop in between.

I have a switch (currently a 10/100) trying to get a better Lan Switch, both WD Cloud and TrueNAS Machine will be connected to the same switch.

NO LAPTOP METHOD: where I access the WD MyCloud Windows Share through the web interface, start the copy operation and then close it and it continues to copy

LAPTOP METHOD: I open both windows shares in one laptop and start COPY operation via TeraCopy or some other alternate ?

Arwen

MVP
You might investigate using TrueNAS SCALE, and mount the MyCloud on SCALE. It would have to be done from the command line, as the GUI is not designed to mount & import data from external shares. Not certain this will work.

Whence you have the MyCloud share mounted, you can use RSync to copy the data to your ZFS pool.

If you want to use CORE as the end result, it is still possible. Be are careful and create the pool with TrueNAS Core. Then load up SCALE and import that same pool. Perform your data import. Then export your pool and shutdown. Boot Core up, import pool and you should be good,

zaidpirwani

Cadet
THANKS for the reply and suggestion.

However,

I dont think I know how to MOUNT the MyCloud Share in Linux or in FreeBSD, however cant change to SCALE, I think will keep with CORE for now.

I am interested in learning if MOUNTING is possible via command line in CORE ? and if I can use rsync with command line.

Will search and post here if I find anything useful

Arwen

MVP
I don't know if CORE can mount a CIFS/SMB share. I know generic Linux can.

And yes, you can use RSync at the command line with either CORE or SCALE. One word of caution, either do it from the console of the TrueNAS server. Or use a special tool. CORE uses TMUX and SCALE may have TMUX or SCREEN. These tools allow you to keep a SHELL running on the server even if your PC has to be rebooted. Meaning the RSync command copying over your 7TBs of data can continue even if your PC / laptop is not part of the setup anymore.

For example:
- Login to TrueNAS Core, (like via PuTTY)
- Switch to "root" if needed
- Mount the share
- Use TMUX, (which simply shows you another command line)
- Start RSync

As long as MyCloud & TrueNAS Core don't loose network connectivity, (or power), what happens elsewhere, (your PC, laptop, etc..), the copy will continue.

If you do loose connectivity and want to check the status of RSync, do;
- Login to TrueNAS Core, (like via PuTTY)
- Switch to "root" if needed
- Use the TMUX command to re-establish an existing session