WD Blue or WD Red?

Inxsible

Guru
Since I have to buy 6 or 8 drives together for my new build, going desktop drives would save me some money.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Since I have to buy 6 or 8 drives together for my new build, going desktop drives would save me some money.
The last set I bought was 8 of the 4TB Seagate Desktop drives, they have been working great for me almost a year now.

Inxsible

Guru
The last set I bought was 8 of the 4TB Seagate Desktop drives, they have been working great for me almost a year now.
Good to know. I will keep an eye out for deals on Seagate desktop drives over the next few days.

So after a year, how was your experience with those hdds? Do you recommend going with those cheaper models?
I'm interested to hear more on that too. Given that the price difference between WD Blues vs. WD Reds is almost 30€ for me in Germany right now - same for Barrcuda vs. Ironwolf - it's kind of a hard one to pay the extra money if filesharing is the main purpose of my FreeNAS.

Inxsible

Guru
Not sure about @Chris Moore 's drives, but my 2 Barracuda's (1TB each) are running great in the NAS. Been about 2 years. Wouldn't have saved a whole lot of money between barracuda vs Ironwolf -- the difference in the US is not as large as 30 Euros. it's more like $6-$10 most times. But I had these drives lying around, so I thought I'd give them a go. From that perspective, I ended up saving about $160 since the Ironwolfs 1TB at that time were around $80. Now they seem to be around $55-$60. I also have 4 Constellation drives running in hardware RAID in my VM server and I have no complaints on them either.

Currently Barracuda 1TB is $42 and the Seagate Desktop HDD is $40 and Seagate Constellation/Enterprise is $50. In the 3TB range the Constellation($56) is cheaper than the Desktop ($59). These days, you'd find 3 & 4 TB drives to be cheaper than 1TB & 2TB just due to supply/demand. Bottom line, figure out the size you want your drives, then see which one is cheapest. My order of preference in Seagate is (same drive size -- similar pricing, say max $5-$7 difference between each)
  1. Constellation
  2. Barracuda ( because they are usually cheaper than Ironwolf)
  3. Ironwolf (these run super hot in my NAS -- 35C - 44C (6TB 7200RPM) which makes me wary)
  4. Desktop (no personal experience yet on how they are..so I would buy them only if this is super cheap compared to the other 3 -- say like $30 difference, which usually isn't the case in US)
There are other ranges like FireCuda sshd( for gaming) and SkyHawk (for surveillance) which I don't usually consider for a NAS.

But since this thread is about WD Red vs Blue, I'd say I don't have any experience with WD other than a Western Digital Caviar SE 80GB drive in my desktop (yeah... the power on hours on that is 65952 = 7.5 years) but it's still working.

FYI: The old Barracudas which used to be desktop drives is not the same as the Seagate Desktop I think. It's all confusing marketing bullcrap.

Last edited: