warden vs iocage jails in 11.0-U4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inxsible

Guru
I recently tried an upgrade from 11.0-U3 to 11.0-U4 and had issues as described in this thread.

In any case, I dropped the idea of trying to upload my config file because I thought this would be a good time to use standard jails instead of the pluginjails that I had for Plex, Couchpotato and Transmission. I had installed Radarr in a standard jail and had found it to be relatively easy to upgrade/maintain as opposed to a pluginjail.

I have been reading up on iocage in this thread but I have some questions related to this:
  1. Should I still use warden or go with iocage for the new jails now that iocage is going to be the default going forward?
  2. When creating the jail via GUI, what is the default -- warden or iocage?
  3. Will I be able to import/copy the metadata from my existing jails? Plex has a bunch of metadata for all the videos I have and it would be quicker to copy that instead of having Plex re-analyze and re-download the metadata. What would be easier?
  4. Any issues with iocage that I am not aware of?

Inxsible

Guru
anyone?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Default is Warden.
Yes you can copy your metadata and you should.
Iocage will probably be in the new GUI under 11.1.

I'm waiting until iocage is fully feature complete before I rebuild. So right now the only thing you can use from the GUI is Warden.

Inxsible

Guru
Hmm. Thanks SnL.

I have read iocage related threads on the forum and I have noticed that 11U2 & 11U3 have broken the iocage jails. Not sure if it's the same in 11U4 since no one has posted about it. I am wondering if its a good time to switch to iocage or just use warden for now and worry about it when 11.1 or 11.2 comes out.

I wish I hadn't set out to upgrade to 11U4, since that's what started me down this path. There was nothing in 11U4 changelog that I really wanted. This shows that you should upgrade minor releases only when you need to have a feature. Major upgrades should be done just so you don't get too far behind the times and also to allow for future upgrade paths.

Anyway, I guess I will be more careful next time.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Depends on how much you care about it "Just working". If you don't care then go for it, if you care you need to wait.

Inxsible

Guru
Fair Enough. I think I will just go with warden for now and then change over after 11.1 or 11.2

Status
Not open for further replies.