Dabbler
Running the following

rsync -azPv ~/ 10.10.10.11:/mnt/zvol/rsync

results in
Code:
ssh: connect to host 10.10.10.11 port 22: Connection refused
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [Receiver]
rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(226) [Receiver=3.1.1]

As you can see rsync is configured to use SSH by default.

I can connect just fine if I go through SSH, but I dont want to. Just looking to see how I can connect to the rsync module directly without SSH.

Nick2253

Wizard
Can you help clarify what you're doing here? Are you connecting from your FreeNAS box to a different server? Or are you connecting into FreeNAS? For your SSH connection, do you have certificates configured, or are you using username/password?

TrashKing

Dabbler
Can you help clarify what you're doing here? Are you connecting from your FreeNAS box to a different server? Or are you connecting into FreeNAS? For your SSH connection, do you have certificates configured, or are you using username/password?

I am connecting to a FreeNAS box from a Linux box to backup data. The online documentation seems to indicate that RSYNC needs "ssh" to be added after the options to get it to use SSH, but when I issue the command above, SSH is already invoked. SSH is setup with keys, but password login is also acceptable.

My current working command is:

Code:
rsync -azPv --delete 192.168.1.222:/path/to/folder  

The point of my asking was to test if RSYNC is faster when transferring over a LAN directly to an rsync daemon, as apposed to having to go through an SSH encryption/decryption process but this command is going through SSH on port 22. I have no idea how to simply connect to the rysnc daemon (without SSH) on the FreeNAS server.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Have you tried:

Code:
rsync -azPv ~/ user@10.10.10.11:/mnt/zvol/rsync

Where user has permission to SSH and to the location to be copied from/to?

TrashKing

Dabbler
Have you tried:

Code:
rsync -azPv ~/ user@10.10.10.11:/mnt/zvol/rsync

Where user has permission to SSH and to the location to be copied from/to?
Yes when I run such a command it appears rsync is automatically enlisting SSH to connect.

The first line in the output is:

Code:
opening connection using: ssh -l

But when I read online you're *supposed to invoke SSH in the command with something like

Code:
rsync -e ssh ~/  user@10.10.10.11:/path/ 

c32767a

Patron
I am connecting to a FreeNAS box from a Linux box to backup data. The online documentation seems to indicate that RSYNC needs "ssh" to be added after the options to get it to use SSH, but when I issue the command above, SSH is already invoked. SSH is setup with keys, but password login is also acceptable.

My current working command is:

Code:
rsync -azPv --delete 192.168.1.222:/path/to/folder  

The point of my asking was to test if RSYNC is faster when transferring over a LAN directly to an rsync daemon, as apposed to having to go through an SSH encryption/decryption process but this command is going through SSH on port 22. I have no idea how to simply connect to the rysnc daemon (without SSH) on the FreeNAS server.

rsync needs a transport method. ssh is the most common because of the security benefits.

But, if your local network is secure, you can use the rsync protocol directly over the lan.

To do that, you need to set up rsync in services and add an rsync module for your target directory on your FreeNAS. Once configured, this sets up an rsyncd listener on the freenas and you can run rsync on your linux box like this:

rsync -av /linux/dir/* rsync://nas/modulename

This will remove ssh encryption overhead, which may or may not accelerate performance, depending on your CPUs and network.

TrashKing

Dabbler
rsync needs a transport method. ssh is the most common because of the security benefits.

But, if your local network is secure, you can use the rsync protocol directly over the lan.

To do that, you need to set up rsync in services and add an rsync module for your target directory on your FreeNAS. Once configured, this sets up an rsyncd listener on the freenas and you can run rsync on your linux box like this:

rsync -av /linux/dir/* rsync://nas/modulename

This will remove ssh encryption overhead, which may or may not accelerate performance, depending on your CPUs and network.

Thanks ill give it a shot. Removing the SSH overhead was what I was curious about.

Status
Not open for further replies.