VMWare snapshots....what Am I doing wrong?

Shaggy1007

Cadet
Hey guys. I've read the documentation. Looked at other threads. Still alittle Fuzzy on how this is supposed to work.
I have a paid license (Essentials) and a couple of hosts. Disks/VM's live local to the hosts

Right now, what I've done is create a new entry in "Vmware Snapshots"
I filled out the credentials and server name to connected to vsphere. It does poll and fetch the datastores.

If I manually generate a snapshot on VMWare (disks live local inside of the host) then manually snapshot in Truenas...Then what?
I dont think anything is happening?

Or am I missing a step?

Thanks!

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Disks/VM's live local to the hosts
If your VMs are on local disks in each of your VMware hosts, then you won't get any benefit from having TrueNAS take a snapshot at the ZFS level. That integration is designed for when you're using TrueNAS to provide NFS/VMFS storage to VMware, and it will create a consistent state on disk (at the ZFS level) for you to safely roll back to.

If you're using something like a commercial backup product on VMware (or a non-commercial solution like ghettoVCB) then TrueNAS can be the backup target/repository; although that's just using it as a NAS/SAN target, which doesn't require the VMware snapshot integration.

Shaggy1007

Cadet
Ah ok. What threw me is that it scans the host for Datastores. So i'd have to pick a datastore that lives on Truenas, that is serving up the VM's to the host.

I do have an iSCSI share setup on truenas that is working in the host.

Thanks!