vmware-snapshot - what is it doing exactly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceBoosteR

Guru
So
I have created a dataset and set the permissions to root only (700). In the dataset nothing happens, but the datastores were reconized. When does FN create a backup?
I have created a auto-snapshot and a manual one...

Thomas102

Explorer
Not sure what you are doing.
I set the datastore on ESXI and created a VM on top of it.
I created a vmware snapshot to link the dataset and the ESXI host datastore.

Now when I run a snapshot of the dataset (automatic or manual), I can see that the VM using the datastore is snapshoted on the ESXi.

IceBoosteR

Guru
Ok I have created a dataset on FreeNAS called VMBackup. This was created with the permission 700 (not the default 755). After that I created the VMWare Snapshot on FreeNas and a task to run every 3 hours. The datastores from the ESXi host was listed in the drop-down. So I started a VM on ESXi, took a snapshot on FN and nothing happens ;)

Thomas102

Explorer
What is expected is FN "esxi-snapshot" the VM that are hosted on the nfs datastore before the dataset is snapshoted
It allows the dataset snapshot to contain a proper state of the VM

It looks like you expect Freenas to snapshot all the VM then backup them to the nfs datastore ?

IceBoosteR

Guru
So just for my understanding:
NF is not backing up the local filesystems/datastores from an ESXi host to a dataset I choose in the menu when creating a VMware snapshot?

I have to select the dataset which contains the ZVOL for ESXI?
This does nbot make sense to me, as I can snapshot the ZVOL itself...

Edit: read the documentation again and now I understand it.
FreeNAS is creating a snaphot from the running VMs and this snapshot is used for a snapshot on the ZVOL for a consitant state.
Is that ture?
So I need to select under "ZFS filesystem" the ZVOL ...

And the datastore is the datastore which is mounted with NFS and iSCSI?

Is that correct?

argh xD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.