Vmware Snapshots - Not Requiring it to host datastore

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvesj

Explorer
Barracuda's Backup Cloud has a feature where you point the barracuda at the Vmware Vsphere server. It takes the snapshot and pulls it back to the Barracuda backup. It doesn't require the datastore to be hosted on the Barracuda server (you can't if you wanted to). I think this would be a great feature for FreeNAS. I would like to use FreeNAS/TrueNAS in more of our quotes/jobs. This feature would make that happen.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't even understand what you are trying to say with that. Can you elaborate?

silvesj

Explorer
Sorry. . . It shouldn't be this hard to explain. But in the case of my client. They have a Barracuda Backup 690. It has the ability to take vmware machine snapshots and store them on the barracuda device. It also can replicate those off-site. FreeNAS currently requires the datastore to be hosted on the FreeNAS box to do Vmware snapshots. The barracuda doesn't. So I assume there's some API that reaches out to vsphere, takes the snapshot, and exports it to the Barracuda Backup 690.

Please let me know if you need more info, maybe I can find a better article/example.

Barracuda Description of the Vmware Feature on it's Backup appliance.

"Virtual Machine Integration
Organizations running Microsoft Hyper-V or VMware vSphere have flexible backup options that include guest and image-level backups. In both platforms, only new, changed, deduplicated data chunks are transferred across the virtual/physical infrastructure. Barracuda leverages VMware’s Changed Block Tracking (CBT) for faster backups and restores. Barracuda provides fast, easy recovery of individual files or complete VM images to the original VMware, an existing VMware or a new VMware."

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ok. I understand what you are saying now. I have no idea how Barracuda does whatever magic they do. So I can't really answer your question. If I had to guess, it sounds like Barracuda has some kind of semi-proprietary configuration/feature they use to accomplish those tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.