VMs won't start after Update to 9.10.1-U1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If they're offering an alternate solution that's better then great
Bhyve. Not as universal, but much less irritating than virtualbox. Plus, no Oracle. Oracle's touch is a sort of reverse Midas touch, with everything turning to crap.

Chris230291

Patron
So long as it can run Windows in a VM I'll be happy. I use it to run game servers. Some games have linux versions of the dedicated servers, but usually they suck and never support 3rd party server maintenance utilities and mods.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Erates

Cadet
I can confirm that this happens on my system as well. I could start VM's, then I upgraded to the latest version (9.10.1-U1), and then I couldn't start my VM's anymore. Downgraded to the previous version and now they start again.

Don't know if anybody has already submitted a bugreport for this.

EDIT: I'm planning on using BHyve, but I thought the web interface is only since FreeNAS 10 and I don't want to run a nightly build.

Muddro

Explorer
Yeah, Windows is supported.
Sounds great. Will this be a FreeNAS 10 feature or come out in the 9.10 series? Also, will it be relatively easy to use, like the plugin for VirtualBox? Oh while im pretty sure it won't be able to, will there be a way to transfer the image or something of the OS in our Virtual Box and transfer it, or need to start from scratch?

Anio

Dabbler
I converted my linux virtual box image to raw using VBoxManage and started it on bhyve without any problem.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Muddro

Explorer
I converted my linux virtual box image to raw using VBoxManage and started it on bhyve without any problem.

don't happen to have a link to instructions on how to do that do you?

diskdiddler

Wizard
I think it is, I'm applying it now. Update logs mentioned the Virtual Box changes so I'm guessing issues been addressed.

Moppen

Dabbler
Is it just me, or is VB now very unstable? My Virtual-Win10-Installation was running rocksolid before and i was trying to set up a Windows Server 2008-Install which is now able to tear my whole FreeNAS down so it is rebooting from out of nowhere?

Because me and other relay on my stufff I will go better now but to pre-U1 ... and stay there until someone really can tell me that the troubles all over.

Anio

Dabbler
My VB is unstable long before U1. When i stop any VM in the interface the entire freenas rebooting.

philhu

Patron
And this is iXSystems' idea of a STABLE software version? One that in a sub-point release suddenly and without warning drops support for significant features? And yes, the ability to run arbitrary operating systems in a VM with a nice GUI to manage them is a pretty significant feature. bhyve/iohyve aren't close to being a replacement--even if bhyve is a better hypervisor, guest OS support is much narrower (compare https://wiki.freebsd.org/bhyve with https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Guest_OSes), there's no clear way to migrate a VM from VirtualBox to bhyve, and there's no web or other GUI.

Fail, folks. This is not a way to encourage your users to keep up-to-date.

Yes, especially since a year or so ago they removed templates to run centos jails, etc saying it couldn't be made to run well. You cannot remove major features and have your system NAG a user to upgrade EVERY DAY, when said upgrade will definitely break their system!!

Suprazz

Dabbler
I didnt know that. Very simple. Many thanks. I already lost 20 minutes searching for this. You made my day!

Suprazz

Dabbler
So the problem was corrected in 9.10.1-u2 but the problem is back in 9.10.2? Am I the only one? I'll stay in 9.10.1-u4.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I no longer instantly install updates after the last few - is this new one safe or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.