VMs install basics woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufalien

Patron
Hello all,

Been a long time user of FreeNAS and feel like a complete newb with this one. Inept in fact.

I've searched the forums beforehand, read through some threads but I'm still in a lurch.

Running v11.1 and/or 11.2, I cannot install a simple Centos7 VM. I'm trying to use the Centos 7 DVD ISO but get no sign that anything is going on.

I've gone through the basics in the manual and created the resources needed for the VM like;

a ZVOL
a NIC
a VNC port config
a CDROM being the "CentOS-7-x86_64-DVD-1804.iso" gotten from the usual Centos repo.

Whenever I try to start the VM, I get no feedback and the VM shows started and then stopped.

Seems like few if any are having this issue, so I'd love to get past it and do more with my FreeNAS installs then just be a large NFS server.

Any basics or clues are very very very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

kdragon75

Wizard
Please list your hardware, VM specs (CPU mem, etc) Install type (BIOS, UFI, etc) and don't forget to ensure that you have virtualization extensions enabled in your BIOS.

aufalien

Patron
Hello and thank you sir.

My HW;
SuperMicro E5-2630v4 40 core
128GB RAM
48x 8TB NL SAS3
LSI 9300 HBA series
4x SAS3 JBODS

VM specs;
1 CPU
4GB RAM
Boot loader is UEFI
40GB zvol

I didn't bother checking BIOS for the enabled extensions so let me do that soon, I'm in process of rsycing (via parsyncfp) about 65TB of data from an ailing backup and PXE server.

Thank you for the hint, I've a suspicion that my extensions are disabled.

BTW, I highly recommend parsyncfp to do any rsyncs in a massively threaded manner.

At any rate, I'll get back to you with the BIOS settings.

Last edited:

kdragon75

Wizard
BTW, I highly recommend parsyncfp to do any rsyncs in a massively threaded manner.
Thanks for the tip.
I didn't bother checking BIOS for the enabled extensions
I have seen a number of newer server that have the VT extensions disabled by default if not sold as a hypervisor host. It's a bit of a security thing.

aufalien

Patron
Holy crap, thats all it was. Dooood! With the BIOS extensions enabled I'm all good.

BTW I usually disable those extensions on a pure file server and compute node. With the compute nodes, I've seen a ~3-5% decrease in render times, meaning a bit faster.

Again, many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.