VMFS 6.5 - Space Reclamation without an enterprise license

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy

Dabbler
I've been reading up on virtualizing FreeNAS, and the benefits of using iSCSI and the necessity of the unmap command recently. There has been numerous debates on using NFS vs iSCSI when virtualizing FreeNAS using ESXi. Presumably, this is with the support of the VAAI plugin.

However, from what I've read, you need at least Vsphere standard license to utilize VAAI, which is many thousands of dollars. I don't have access to VAAI since I am just wanting to operate a homelab, and at most I would do Vsphere essentials. The recent features of VMFS 6.5 are the following:
Automatic Space Reclamation is something that I know many of my customers have been waiting for. Note that this is based on VAAI Unmap which has been around for a while and allows you to unmap previously used blocks. In other words, storage capacity is reclaimed and released to the array so that when needed other volumes can use these blocks. In the past you needed to run a command to reclaim the blocks, now this has been integrated in the UI and can simply be turned on or off.
http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2016/10/18/vsphere-6-5-whats-new-vmfs-6-core-storage/
It says it based off VAAI, but I can't discern if Vsphere standard and above is still necessary to utilize this feature.

I remember reading that now the guest OS can simply inform the storage array to use the unmap command when it performs a delete.

Is anyone aware if this feature of VMFS 6.5 is somehow baked into the technology of VMFS and doesn't necessarily require the uber expenstie vsphere standard and above licenses for VAAI? If VMFS6.5 with vsphere essentials can now incorporate this feature gap that VAAI handled exclusively, Id think it be worth looking into further. . .

joeschmuck

Old Man
Based on the linked page it appears the command can be run via the cli.

Is ESXi 6.5 downloadable for Free now? I don't have time to check it out but if it is then I'd be willing to upgrade this week. Right now I'm only running 6.0.0 build-3620759.

gpsguy

Btw for a home lab, consider getting a subscription to VMUG Advantage ($200/ yearUSD). It includes the EVALexperienc which gives you access to the goodies that would cost thousands of dollars.

tvsjr

Guru
Based on the linked page it appears the command can be run via the cli.

Is ESXi 6.5 downloadable for Free now? I don't have time to check it out but if it is then I'd be willing to upgrade this week. Right now I'm only running 6.0.0 build-3620759.
Yes, 6.5 is now downloadable. 6.0.0 build 3620759? I smite thee with my Stick of Compliance! You are 6 updates behind, including multiple critical security fixes. :p

You can upgrade to 6.5 just by patching the system up. This site really simplifies the listing of all the various patches and gives you the right commands to easily update from online sources:
https://esxi-patches.v-front.de/ESXi-6.0.0.html

joeschmuck

Old Man
You can upgrade to 6.5 just by patching the system up. This site really simplifies the listing of all the various patches and gives you the right commands to easily update from online sources:
https://esxi-patches.v-front.de/ESXi-6.0.0.html
Thanks for the link, very good information and I will now set it up to check the site monthly. I'm downloading the 6.5 ISO and will perform the upgrade and hopefully things will work out fine.

Yes, 6.5 is now downloadable. 6.0.0 build 3620759? I smite thee with my Stick of Compliance! You are 6 updates behind, including multiple critical security fixes. :p
Yea, updates are not that critical as long as it all works for my situation. I do a monthly check when I got time and so long as the new update is older than a few weeks, I'll perform the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.