VM won't boot if more than 1 vCPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyatkadx

Cadet
I'm working with the latest FreeNAS 11.1 and trying to play with bhyve.

Installing Windows Server 2016.

When I assign only 1 vCPU to the VM, everything goes well.

If I set more than 1 vCPU, VM will sometimes boot, but most of the time, freeze on boot. Been waiting for hours and the VM is still not up.

If the VM doesn't get up after 3-5 minutes, I restart the VM, until I can get the VM to boot. When the VM finally get to boot, everything looks to be working...

How can I troubleshoot this?

mjt5282

Contributor
older versions of windows would malfunction when you changed the virtual number of CPUs after installation, because the kernel files installed would be different. I had to re-install Windows after adding a second CPU . A big virtual pain, and WS 2016 maybe similar.

tommyatkadx

Cadet
I have the same issue to boot on the Windows installation DVD. When only 1 vCPU, it boot #1, if I set 2 or more vCPU, it will loop on the DVD for hours without success.

This is not related to # of vCPU in Windows, Windows Server 2016 support it 100%

wil

Cadet
Does your host CPU support Unrestricted Guest?

eg.
grep VT-x /var/run/dmesg.boot
VT-x: PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,UG,VPID

There should be "UG" in there for bhyve to actually allow you to use more as one 1 vCPU.

wil

Cadet
Is your NIC set to virtio hardware and does it use the latest virtio drivers? The e1000 NIC that comes with the default causes a number of strange issues including hanging issues.

tommyatkadx

Cadet
when using the virtio drivers, Windows won't recognise the NIC, so, I'm using the e1000.

Removing the NIC won't help the VM booting when more than 1 vCPU

madmac

Cadet
If you INSTALL Windows with only 1 vCPU, Windows will install the single-CPU version of the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL). Adding a 2nd vCPU will make this VM unstable, as the wrong HAL is installed. If you had multiple vCPUs set when you did the install, then this is NOT the issue . . .

I had network issues with the Intel E1000 drivers. When I switched the bhyve config to VirtIO, and booted, I of course, had no network connectivity. VNC got me into the console, and I was able to use to the Device Manger to browse for and install the downloaded VirtIO drivers (as an .ISO) I had placed on a USB Key and Imported and mapped to the CD-ROM drive in the bhyve configuration. This resolved my Networking issue.

If you're successfully running the VirtIO Networking drivers, and you did a Multi-CPU install so that you have the right HAL, I'm out of ideas . . .

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.