VM usb passthrough

jhmc93

Cadet
Is there anyway to get a windows 10 vm on truenas to show the usb drive or additional hard drive to show on the vm?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
For a VM, you can create additional disk devices attached to zvols, but that's it. USB pass-through doesn't exist in bhyve. If you have a PCI USB controller with ports, you may be able to pass-through the PCI controller into the VM.

jhmc93

Cadet
For a VM, you can create additional disk devices attached to zvols, but that's it. USB pass-through doesn't exist in bhyve. If you have a PCI USB controller with ports, you may be able to pass-through the PCI controller into the VM.
I tried adding an additional drive via zvol but it never shows up on the vm, what I’m doing wrong, is a pci usb controller hardware?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
I tried adding an additional drive via zvol but it never shows up on the vm, what I’m doing wrong

What device number did you give the new drive? The device numbers start from 1000 and go up, and there can't be any breaks. Also, did you configure the drive device as AHCI or VirtIO? A Windows 10 VM doesn't have the drivers out-of-the-box to see a VirtIO drive. For that, you'll need to load the drivers from an ISO.
is a pci usb controller hardware?

Yes. Something like this:

jhmc93

Cadet
What device number did you give the new drive? The device numbers start from 1000 and go up, and there can't be any breaks. Also, did you configure the drive device as AHCI or VirtIO? A Windows 10 VM doesn't have the drivers out-of-the-box to see a VirtIO drive. For that, you'll need to load the drivers from an ISO.

Yes. Something like this:

I tried AHCI and VrtlO