From FreeNAS Corral Windows VM to ESXi? Or to FreeNAS 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zofoor

Patron
Hi all!
I have a some big troubles with a Freenas Corral installation. I have tried to make a stable Windows 10 VM without success.
The problem is that sometimes the whole server get stuck, with all it's services. Sometimes just opening the Corral Web-interface causes the trouble.

Sadly it is on a production enviorement (a small company of a friend), and it replaced an older windows 7 machine. I am a very happy user of Freenas 9.10 but choising Corral was really a big mistake.

This is a FreeNAS 10.0.4 installation, that was marked as stable when installed.

So, as I don't see any way to fix it soon, I was thinking for a final workaround by switching to ESXi:
1. install ESXi on another usb pen drive
2. configure ESXi to passthrough the integrated intel sata ports
3. from ESXi, create two VM, one for Freenas and one for Windows 10
4. On the Freenas VM, install Freenas 9.10.x and import the volume, and re-configure the shares
5. On the Windows 10 VM, well, this is the problem.

What's the best way you would raccomand to move my Windows 10 VM from Freenas to ESXi? Reinstalling from the beginning and configuring all services would be really a big pain (both for the time needed, and the troubles becouse of the services not running while doing the work).

And the second concern is the passthrough of the integrated intel sata ports. Is that stable? The server as already a little out of the budget, so adding another controller card is not really an option.

The other way would be to make the upgrade to Freenas 11 RC1. I was waiting for a 100% stable release but the troubles about Corral instability are every day worse. But, perhaps it would be the best option. I really don't need so many services, just samba shares and Windows 10 VM, so the changes that something does not work should not be so many, I think.

Last but not least, I could again try to improve the stability, but I don't know what causes the issues. I've read about using VirtIO as Network Device for WIndows 10, I tried but it was not working (even if I have installed the drivers). It simply didn't found the network. And anyway, sometimes the system get stuck alone, or by logging to the web interface.

What do you think? Any idea and help would be really appreciated.

Hardware:
Fujitsu PRIMERGY TX1320 M2
2 x wd red 2,5" 700gb in mirror
2 pen drive
onboard C236 SATA controller
2 x i210 onboard ethernet 1gbit
16Gb ecc
Xeon 1220v5

Zofoor

Patron
For the moment it seems that I have fixed the stability issues by using VirtIO as Network device. It was a bit tricky to make it works, but now it doesn't crush anymore.

So, for now, I will wait a long time after and upgrade to FreeNAS 11 (think at 11U2)

Status
Not open for further replies.