VM says, "Only one Virtual CPU is allowed in this system."

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadHazard

Explorer
I've created a brand new VM under FreeNAS 11 (my first!) and if I try to give it more than 1 CPU core, I get the bright red error message above. Since my processor (a Core i7) supports 4 physical cores and 8 threads, this shouldn't be a problem.

Is this a temporary limitation of FreeNAS 11 .0-U1, or am I just doing something stupid?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Your system probably doesn't support all the necessary bits. Enabling any disabled BIOS options related to virtualization might help.

scrappy

Patron
The specs on your CPU makes me believe it should be capable of supporting multiple VM cores. I agree with @Ericloewe —you need to be sure the proper virtualization bits are turned on in your BIOS.

RoadHazard

Explorer
Nope, no joy. I rebooted and checked the BIOS and all the relevant features are already enabled. UEFI boot, Execute Disable Bit, Intel VT, VT for Directed I/O (VT-d) are all on.

Here's what dmesg.boot says:
Code:
root@freenas:~ # grep VT-x /var/run/dmesg.boot
  VT-x: PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,VPID
root@freenas:~ #

Last edited:

Stux

MVP
Upgrade to a Westmere CPU vs your Nehalem.

(Ps: they're cheap on eBay)

RoadHazard

Explorer
Upgrade to a Westmere CPU vs your Nehalem.

Sadly, any Westmere processor that fits it my socket is slower than the i7-860 that's in there now. So "upgrading" to a CPU that has UG support (Core i5-680, for example) would slow down my system considerably.

Status
Not open for further replies.