VM GPU Passthrough: No Audio

jmcguire525

Explorer
I have a RTX 3070 Ti passed through with a Windows 11 VM, even with a display (with speakers) hooked up to the GPU I don't have an available audio device. Has anyone else run into a similar issue?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
TrueNAS SCALE passes through a whole GPU as a PCIe device.... any audio would be a VM guest issue.

jmcguire525

Explorer
TrueNAS SCALE passes through a whole GPU as a PCIe device.... any audio would be a VM guest issue.
Well, it passes the GPU as two PCIe device(s), I assume split as a video and audio device but can't be sure since there isn't much information go off of in the "devices" menu. Windows itself doesn't know what to do with the second PCIe device.

Screenshot 2023-01-02 8.43.55 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-01-02 8.46.29 PM.png

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
It should be the standard windows driver for this device...

jmcguire525

Explorer
After moving the GPU to another PCIe slot to troubleshoot, the Truenas GUI now says I cannot isolate the GPU because "it is required by the host". This is odd since it wasn't throwing this error before and the system still has access to the ASPEED VGA that has been there all along.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
After moving the GPU to another PCIe slot to troubleshoot, the Truenas GUI now says I cannot isolate the GPU because "it is required by the host". This is odd since it wasn't throwing this error before and the system still has access to the ASPEED VGA that has been there all along.
Moving GPUs around is not something we test...not sure why that would happen.

jmcguire525

Explorer
I've now tried Windows 10, Windows 11, and Pop! OS (Ubuntu with Nvidia drivers). None of the VMs have a sound device from the Nvidia GPU, which leads me to believe it is NOT a an issue with the VM guest. Again, the VM options don't give me much to go on when checking the "details". I'm only able to see the PCI identifier without any information such as "NVIDIA HD Audio Controller". I believe there is an issue with the audio side of GPU passthrough unless someone else has had any success.

Notes:
  • Both Windows installations have the latest Nvidia GeForce Drivers installed
  • Pop! OS image has Nvidia drivers packaged in the ISO
  • IOMMU in enabled in Bios and the two PCIe devices being passed are in the same group
  • MB: ROMED6U-2L2T
  • CPU: EPYC 7443P

Screenshot 2023-01-04 2.57.13 PM.png

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
It seems to be a common problem with these GPUs.

If not driver, its probably BIOS or KVM.. suggest you retitle the forum thread with the exact GPU and see if anyone else has similar issue or resolved.