SOLVED TrueNAS Scale Win10 Pro VM no sound - any workarounds?

rustigsmed

Dabbler
Hi everyone,

I was playing around with gpu pass through (rtx 3050) in Truenas scale virtualisation to a win10 vm, and managed to get it running games well (@1080p ... 1440p saw it tank) while using Remmina Remote Desktop Client (overcomes the 800x600 issue but only to your monitor's native res or windowed native res) - remote from xubuntu.

However, probably to no surprise I have no sound, I attempted installing the VB-Audio Virtual Cable, I get no sound in the regular VNC browser popup or through Remmina (I think i have pretty much exhausted that possibility).

Has anyone got any potential work around solutions?

Thanks

Russell

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
When I ran a Win 10 VM on Core, I had no problems getting sound through genuine Microsoft Remote Desktop. If that doesn't work for you, you could try installing PulseAudio for Windows and sending audio from that over the network to your XUbuntu system.

rustigsmed

Dabbler
When I ran a Win 10 VM on Core, I had no problems getting sound through genuine Microsoft Remote Desktop. If that doesn't work for you, you could try installing PulseAudio for Windows and sending audio from that over the network to your XUbuntu system.
Thanks for the reply Samuel. Yes the genuine MS Remote desktop worked with sound. I tried the Pulse Audio option on Xubuntu I have the network options all greyed out with no obvious fix (paprefs). Your response did send me on a path of success however, i downloaded Scream github.com/duncanthrax/scream (virtual sound card for Windows), and got around the sound issue by using SoundIt - streams sound to the local network to a browser. Latency is definitely there but probably doable for slow games (which is what you'd expect from the server/vm). I think i would still prefer to get pulse audio going if possible - so if I get time I might come back to it.

edit - actually I noticed that there is a sound option in Remmina that only pops up in advanced options when you're in the remote setting (but in the client control panel - not the window) - which also works!

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Thanks for the reply Samuel. Yes the genuine MS Remote desktop worked with sound. I tried the Pulse Audio option on Xubuntu I have the network options all greyed out with no obvious fix (paprefs). Your response did send me on a path of success however, i downloaded Scream github.com/duncanthrax/scream (virtual sound card for Windows), and got around the sound issue by using SoundIt - streams sound to the local network to a browser. Latency is definitely there but probably doable for slow games (which is what you'd expect from the server/vm). I think i would still prefer to get pulse audio going if possible - so if I get time I might come back to it.

edit - actually I noticed that there is a sound option in Remmina that only pops up in advanced options when you're in the remote setting (but in the client control panel - not the window) - which also works!

Thanks again.

Glad you figured it out with Remmina. PulseAudio on Windows doesn't have a GUI; you have to edit the *.pa files manually and restart the service to be able to stream over the network.