virtual vs physical mirroring hard drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alen43

Cadet
Hi

My first post in this forum. I want to say that I'm very satisfied with Freenas 8. No errors so far. I'm running Freenas 8 in VMWare environment. But I have some questions regarding reliability of physical and virtual hard drives. In VMWare I can select either virtual or physical. I've read somewhere that virtual is better for file storage because it is safer in containers. (can be copied to new hard disk). My host is Windows x64 so when I create physical environment I don't see hard disks in win explorer because (I think) of different disk format. When I want to create virtual disk, first I create partition in WinOS (NTFS) where I store that containers... And if something goes wrong or I want to copy my files to another destination, I copy only that container. But I wonder, if I want to transfer to another disk (within my host), what is a procedure for copying physical drives? Can I see them in some other OS?

I wanted to create virtual hard disk but when I started to copy 1.8TB of files to containers... that's hell of the time to wait.
I'm using 2 2Tb RE4 mirrored and in ZFS.

I have tested opening files which I copied (500gb for 12+ hours) and they are opening without any lack of preformance(speed)... The problem is just first copy of them.
Should I stay in virtual environment, or go physical?
First thing for me data security... not on preformance.

Please give me your hints, tips, opinions regarding disk types.

Cheers,
Alen

Status
Not open for further replies.