Virtual Machine install issues

Hi everyone,

So I am having some issues trying to install a Ubuntu vm on my NAS. My NAS is hosted on an old dell poweredge r510 with 32gb of ram and 4tb of storage currently.

I am trying to install the latest version of Ubuntu with one cpu, two cores, and four threads. The installer works just fine then I get to the vm restarting and it says to remove the install media but I read online that you can just press enter since it is just a vm then I get hit with unmount error over and over again and a bunch of other errors that go by too fast to read).

I am just confused on what I am doing wrong, is having the iso for ubuntu located in my SMB share the problem, my installing the vms wrong, or anything that I didn't list.

Thanks

LarsR

Guru
Power off your VM and then try the following:
When you open the details tab of your vms there is a menu point called devices
Try Changing the order so that Disk is before CDROM.
The other thing you could do is edit the CDROM Device and Remove The Iso Impage path.
If you try to boot your VM now it should promt to the "Harddrive" and not the CDROM.

I believe the thing to do now is to remove the CDROM device entirely (at least, that's how it is for 12.0, apparently).
I had tried removing the path (I actually couldn't delete the media path, so I set it to /dev/null) and changing the boot order with no success.
Stumbled upon this tutorial that walks you through it for an ubuntu vm, which explains it pretty well : https://youtu.be/n8y5o6DKkKI
After you've installed your os on the VM, shut down the vm > then selected devices for the vm > select the options (the dots to the right of the CDROM device) for the CDROM > select delete.
Once you start the VM again it should boot from disk.