(Very) Small Storage File Server HDD Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLueken

Cadet
I have a client with a small office looking to add a file server for 4-8 workstations. The server would mostly contain xls/doc/pdf files, less than 400mb total (I don't see it expanding to anything over 1GB in the near future unless PeachTree software revises to allow remote storage of the database). I realize a simple NAS box could probably suffice here but the client is interested in the enhanced security/permissions robustness of a FreeNAS box. Given the small storage requirements and emphasis on performance, my initial thought involved a simple UFS mirror with two small SSDs. However, I've been reading quite a bit about ZFS lately and was wondering if there would be any merit to a platter ZFS mirror and a single SSD used as a cache drive. Any input is appreciated!

cypher1024

Dabbler
I would've thought you'd get better performance out of mirrored SSDs. Unfortunately, I only have one SSD, so I can't test this theory for you.

JLueken

Cadet
I was thinking the same thing...still mildly wary of using SSDs in a server environment though. On the other hand, it's not exactly a high traffic environment, so I feel a set of solid SLC enterprise drives would have acceptable endurance. However, I'll be the first to admit that I'm no SSD longevity expert and it seems that TRIM is not supported through RAID volumes (these SSDs would be in RAID1), so it may be best to just stick with a fast platter array for the longest hardware lifespan. Then again, I could order two platters only to have them fail 2 weeks later when the SSDs could (by my probably-questionable calculations) last an absolute minimum of 2-3 years before any recognizable slowdown at all...

I may just flip a coin....

Status
Not open for further replies.