Very Slow Searching SMB directory from Mac

Hi All,

I have an SMB share pointing at a 2TB dataset and connecting to it from a Mac. When I run a search from the Mac on the share the results returned are very slow indeed and sometimes nothing is returned at all. I know the search function works as if I drill down the directory structure the search resolves much quicker but my question is can I do anything to speed this process up? I've looked into indexing the share from the Mac but I believe this only works with an AFP share and not SMB.

Thanks in advance.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi All,

I have an SMB share pointing at a 2TB dataset and connecting to it from a Mac. When I run a search from the Mac on the share the results returned are very slow indeed and sometimes nothing is returned at all. I know the search function works as if I drill down the directory structure the search resolves much quicker but my question is can I do anything to speed this process up? I've looked into indexing the share from the Mac but I believe this only works with an AFP share and not SMB.

Thanks in advance.

find works pretty fast from the CLI. :) Getting fast search results on a mac requires spotlight protocol support (not sure if MacOS can speak WSP). If I have time I might add lucene indexing support for FN 12, but in this case we'd get the local storage indexed by a remote lucene server (perhaps in a jail), and then Samba would pass WSP / Spotlight queries to it and return the response in the appropriate format for the particular protocol.

Ok, thanks for the info. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing an easy trick.

billgreenwood

Dabbler
Thanks, I'll take a look.