Mac optimal sharing preferences

Status
Not open for further replies.

zejohn

Dabbler
Hi All,

I've searched about this extensively but am having trouble figuring it out.

I'm connecting to my Freenas via AFP. I know I should be using SMB, but all my photography folders contain illegal SMB characters (mainly the "/" char). I tried attaching the fruit advanced option but the names still come out mangled on the Mac end. Thus, I'm sticking to AFP until someone comes up wiht a solution.

The problem right now is that in both AFP & SMB, directory listing is sloooooow. I have to wait 4 or 5 seconds or so for previously unloaded folders to load their files. Once loaded, they have to reload every few hours and opening up the server during a new boot up on my Mac slows everything down again. I thus have a few questions:

1) What is the optimal file sharing preference for Macs?
2) If the answer is SMB, how do I prevent name mangling for files that have illegal characters? Changing the file names is not an option for me (too many programs linked up to their preexisting file names)
3) In both SMB & AFP, why do I see a 100MB/s transfer speed for speed test but see at most 50 MB/s for real file transfers (not just one file being moved back and forth)
4) Most importantly, how do I fix the slow directing loading for a Mac? It makes my Freenas damn near unusable because my file tree hierarchy has very deep roots, so going a few folders down takes 20 seconds.

zejohn

Dabbler
YES!!!!!!!!! UPDATE TO EVERYONE WHO MIGHT HAVE THIS SAME PROBLEM:

After 200000 hours of heavy persistence, I figured it out.

AFP is really quite terrible from macOS Sierra. Using SMB is nice, but the directories were still slow & the names were still mangled. To fix this, I pasted these auxiliary parameters into the sharing preference for SMB (you have to press advanced):

mangled names = no
dos charset = CP850
unix charset = UTF-8

That fixed everything, even the slow directory browsing! Whooooo! fully functional freenas :).

Hope this helps

George777

Dabbler
I was having a similar problem mounting a SMB share from Linux. File names with special characters were showing up in directory listings but not accessible. I found this elsewhere on the ArchLinux wiki (copied below in case it disappears) and it worked:

Mapping reserved Windows characters
Starting with kernel 3.18, the cifs module uses the "mapposix" option by default. When mounting a share using unix extensions and a default Samba configuration, files and directories containing one of the seven reserved Windows characters : \ * < > ? are listed but cannot be accessed.

Possible solutions are:
  • Use the undocumented nomapposix mount option for cifs
# mount.cifs //server/share /mnt/point -o nomapposix

Status
Not open for further replies.