Very much an amateur question. I way overbuilt a FreeNAS machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightowl805

Explorer
with the main objective being a Plex server. I let it sit for a long time but recently upgraded to 11.1 u5? I got Plex to work by some miracle lol. I understand the new IO cage plugins are coming, yes I need it that easy. I have read many of you say to build a esxi server and then run Freenas in a VM. I have long term goals of Plex, sonaar, snzbd, couch potato (or the other one whose name escapes me) next cloud and Pfsense. So this is a two part, maybe three part question.

Leave it as it is and wait for new jails
Leave it as it is and install eithe a windows or Linux vm to run all of those plugins though I don’t think I could do Pfsense that way
Start over as a esxi and do VM for Freenas using the jails their or a separate VM for them. I think that way I can still do Pfsense as it’s own VM for my house.

These may be very silly questions the way I am asking but am curious about the general consensus on this would be.

Thank you

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You can create new jails now via the CLI in iocage and they will be picked up by the new UI. As for pfsense, that should be on bare metal in a separate box in my opinion.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I have read many of you say to build a esxi server and then run Freenas in a VM.
Only for advanced users. That is not the first choice.
Plex, sonaar, snzbd, couch potato (or the other one whose name escapes me) next cloud and Pfsense
That is a lot of virtualization though, so maybe you do need ESXi.
You might want to look at this thread:

Build Report: Node 304 + X10SDV-TLN4F [ESXi/FreeNAS AIO]
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...node-304-x10sdv-tln4f-esxi-freenas-aio.57116/

Status
Not open for further replies.