Is it possible to clone a existing machine into an Bhyve VM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sander Jansen

Explorer
Hey, before i was using Vbox for a few vms and now that has been disabled im looking for a way to use Bhyve. I have setup the basics for iohyve/Bhyve and i have a VM running with a live cd of ubuntu. Now is the question, how/if can i clone the existing vm (debian) into the bhyve vm? I was thinking of using dd + ssh but somehow i dont think that will work. Im looking for a direct way, not save the .img file first as that is going to take a long time more as i need to copy about 400 GB twice then

Debian is running at the moment in a normal vm and thus has a gui... now i think it is not that much of an problem to start it into bhyve as it (probably) should just stop at the shell...

but yea the main question at the moment is how do i get the existing VM into the bhyve VM... usually i would use acronis to do this but as i dont have a gui interface, that would be a bit hard... im not that known with linux and shells... usually i can help myself with some guides and stuff but so far ive not been able to find the situation im in right now.

Sander Jansen

Explorer
ill think ill wait for uppgrade 10 then... hope things are better there... i also have red somewhere that in version 10 probably the graphical side gets a upgrade with possible vnc although information is scares...

Status
Not open for further replies.