SOLVED Vertical growth: offline, replace or detach?

zamana

Contributor
Hi!

I'm planning to increase my data storage by replacing 2x4TB by 2x8TB (it's a mirrored vdev), like this:

1603457284992.png

I know that I'll need to replace the disk 3 first, let it resilver, than replace the disk 4 and let it resilver, and then my storage will automagically (I hope...) growth from 20 to 24TB (rounded numbers to easy the calculation).

My question is: what is the correct way to replace healthy disks in this case? Should I use offline, replace or detach over the disks 3 and 4?

Thanks.
Regards.

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If data security is a concern (although it shouldn't be much of one since the removed disk is a full and good copy at that point in time anyway), then you can attach a third disk to the mirror, wait for resilver then remove a smaller one and repeat.

Worth noting that this is only possible at CLI in 11.3, but can be done in the GUI in TrueNAS 12.0 Core

zamana

Contributor
Hi!

Yes. That's a good strategy.

But let's suppose that I don't have a free slot available in my mobo. How should I proceed taking into account that I will need to take off a healthy disk before insert the new one?

Thanks.
Regards.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
But let's suppose that I don't have a free slot available in my mobo. How should I proceed taking into account that I will need to take off a healthy disk before insert the new one?

Performing a scrub and verifying the SMART attributes of the two drives in the "mirror" you're about to break is a good start.

However, I would strongly suggest finding a way to connect the new drives so that you can perform some burn-in testing. The last thing you want to do is replace them all one-by-one and then find out that some of your drives were "factory failures." This doesn't necessarily have to be in the TrueNAS system itself, you could dedicate a standalone machine as a burn-in box to run badblocks for a pass.

Scharbag

Guru
I think the replace command requires the drive to be present so if you cannot add a drive to your system, I think you will need to use the detach command first.

As others said, make sure you burn in your drives before attaching them to your pool.

Cheers,

zamana

Contributor
I think the replace command requires the drive to be present so if you cannot add a drive to your system, I think you will need to use the detach command first.

As others said, make sure you burn in your drives before attaching them to your pool.

Cheers,

Ok!

Thank you for the reply and the advice.

Regards.

Sawtaytoes

Patron
I came to this thread wanting to know the answer to this question:
> Should I use offline, replace or detach over the disks 3 and 4?

I'm assuming Replace allows you to swap a drive for another.

Then Detach removes it completely from that zpool.

But Offline is always weird to me. Does that mean a hot-spare will come and save it? What does that really do?

sretalla