Should I replace a disk?

csjjpm

Contributor
Hi,
this is just a home system. I have 4 x 4TB drives which are pooled as 2 mirrors of a pair of disks. Mirror 1 has ada0p2 and ada1p2 and Mirror 2 has ada2p2 a ada2p3. When I boot I get a warning that my disk ada1 has current pending sector count as 8. I have bought a replacement disk.
My plan is to replace it in the pool, offline/replace and let it resilver. The status of the pool seems fine, no errors. SMART information shows reallocated sector count is 0. Current pending sector count is 8 and offline uncorrectable is 8.
I've read that some people see the count go back down to 0 and then no errors. Also it hasn't used any reallocation sectors yet.
Thanks Paul

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Current pending sector count is 8 and offline uncorrectable is 8.
These are usually a sign of a disk beginning to fail. I suspect that people who see these "go away" aren't looking at the right things to really know for sure. Perhaps they mistake pool errors on the disk (which resets on reboot or with zpool clear) with actual errors on the drive (from SMART).

By all means once you replace it put it through its paces with badblocks and see how well it holds up.

csjjpm

Contributor
Thanks, yeah I'll throughly check it and then if it passes it can be my spare

csjjpm

Contributor
Hi,
I've replaced the disk and it is now online and in the pool, status is 'scanning' and it is at 30% after about 30mins. I am amazed at how quick and easy this was.
thank you
Paul

csjjpm

Contributor
Ok, so the time to complete is going up :smile: that is more like it.