Version confusion???

Status
Not open for further replies.

diskdiddler

Wizard
There's multiple posts here about potential jail issues, not losing jails - but breaking jails or the inability to create new ones.
People want a trouble free system, paranoia seems reasonable considering what was said.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
There's multiple posts here about potential jail issues, not losing jails - but breaking jails or the inability to create new ones.
People want a trouble free system, paranoia seems reasonable considering what was said.
It would appear you missed the comment I was referring to:

Will keep an eye on the 9.10 train, but don't fancy loosing my jails. Sounds like they might need rebuilding with 10 so don't want to do it twice.

I don't care what you guys do. "It works on my machine"

diskdiddler

Wizard
It still feels a little ambiguous, perhaps they don't outright break but there's posts about needing to fix templates or something. I just want it to work (within reason) I'm going to blindly assume, that the developers will fix 9.10 or fix the 9.10 upgrade process so some of this stuff is taken care of and we need not worry,.... right?...

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I created my new jail this morning. Just got home and tested it.

It has a problem with getting a DHCP address, but it works.

Just tested updating another jail that was made on 9.3. It works.
Do you now have 2 templates for each jail type, old and new? Also what version does the newly created jail report?

adrianwi

Guru
I'm resurrecting this thread rather than create another, but what going on with the version numbers now?

What's with all the U numbers?

It used to be pretty straight forward, but since they dropped the point updates in favour of dates, we now seem to have an even more confusing approach.

I'm still on the last 9.3.1 and was contemplating another update, but I can't figure out what's what :D

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What's confusing? 9.10.1 has a number of point releases, as 9.10.1-U1 through -U4, it will be followed by 9.10.2, which may have -Ux point releases, and so on.

A legitimate question would be "What makes 9.10.2 warrant more than just being called 9.10.1-U5?". I have no idea.

adrianwi

Guru
What's confusing is the constant changing! Versions used to be straight forward, with major, minor and point releases. This was then done away with in 9.3 with numerous releases without any obvious change. Then 9.3.1 introduced a point, although contained with further versions at the same time. Then a jump to 9.10, now 9.10.1 with various U1-4 variants? And I almost forgot 10!

Hardly simple to follow :D

Status
Not open for further replies.