Veeam can not access smb share

Hello,

I have a smb share on my truenas box which I also have mapped to my windows 10 machine in file explore. So I know the smb share is working.
However, I want to run backups using veeam and every time I go to map the drive in veeam I get access denied.

I have messed with it for hours and cant figure it out. I think it has to do with permissions or something.

please help!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello,

I have a smb share on my truenas box which I also have mapped to my windows 10 machine in file explore. So I know the smb share is working.
However, I want to run backups using veeam and every time I go to map the drive in veeam I get access denied.

I have messed with it for hours and cant figure it out. I think it has to do with permissions or something.

please help!
Check output of `midclt call smb.status AUTH_LOG` and make sure you're authenticating as the expected user.

hackerman

Cadet
I don't know why it specifically didn't work for OP, but I was able to figure it out for my situation. To preface this, my TrueNAS server is joined to an AD domain, so I have to be specific with it when entering usernames as to whether they're in a domain or local to the TrueNAS server.

When at the Shared Folder section of Edit Backup Job in Veeam, enter the correct SMB shared folder path into the box below Shared folder:

Below that, you'll then see an empty checkbox next to This share requires access credentials: Checkmark that box, and proceed to fill out the Username: and Password: fields.

For the username, I had to start with the hostname/NetBIOS name of my TrueNAS server (e.g. truenas-server\user1) because this user is a local one on the TrueNAS server. Without initial part, I would receive the "Access denied" error in Veeam that OP also got. Conversely, if I wanted to backup to the share as a domain user, I'd write out username as domain\user1. Finish out by entering the password for that user.

To check if Veeam is able to use those credentials to access the SMB share, click the Populate button towards the top of the screen, right below the Browse button. If Veeam was able to successfully authenticate with those credentials, it will display the free space and total space of the shared drive underneath the Shared folder: field.

You can then continue to edit the backup job as you please in Veeam, and it should hopefully work. It did for me, and I'm quite happy. I spent a long while wondering why I kept getting this error, despite me having the folder correctly mapped and entering the correct user credentials.