Using Microsoft Account and security - how is the password stored and used?

Darkhog

Dabbler
I'm setting up TrueNAS for the first time and have been dabbling for months. I'd like to understand more about user accounts and using the "Microsoft Account" checkbox. I am using local accounts and groups. I have verified that if I set my email and password to match my Microsoft account, I am able to log in and easily get to Network shares. This is pretty awesome and convenient but also a bit scary for me.

I'm pretty careful with my Microsoft Account password, so I don't like storing it on another system. How does authentication work, and what exactly is TrueNas storing? Is it special to TrueNAS, or something in FreeBSD? I am worried about two things - first, that this credential is stored in a way that it can be retrieved directly, and second that it could be some token that could be reused in other places. I'm looking for a pretty technical answer, that probably includes terms like "cryptographically hashed" and "salted" etc.

TrueNAS hardware:
Ryzen 5950X on an ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570S motherboard, running Proxmox with TrueNAS as a VM passing in 8 CPUs, 16GB Ram, and MZHOU PCIe SATA Card 8 Port.

Disclaimer: I work at Microsoft, but I don't work on Windows, authentication, or storage.

Thanks in advance!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Plain-text password isn't stored in product, but NT hash is (when SMB authentication is selected). NT hash is required for NTLMv2 authentication, which is currently only authentication method available for SMB protocol unless active directory (kerberos tickets) is used. The NT hash is stored in our sqlite database field itself is encrypted, which provides some protection in case it is file is copied from server, but NT hash is still accessible by root user during run time. The NT hash itself is in principal possible to be cracked (you should be able to google / read up on this), and so you will need to make your own risk assessment regarding that. An NT hash is basically an MD4 hash.