SOLVED Cannot access SMB shares using "Microsoft Account" [FreeNAS v11.3-U3.2]

Hazimil

Contributor
I am in the process of moving from local accounts to utilising "Microsoft Accounts" for my Windows 10 PCs at home. I have edit the user accounts, and ensure the email is the same one as used for the Microsoft Account, and the passwords are also the same. I have also ticked the box Microsoft Account, and I am logging into Windows using the account password.

If I view the /usr/local/etc/smbusername.map file, it lists User Name = email address for the users.

Yet, if I try to go to \\server, an authentication window pops up instead of just showing the SMB shares. However, if I enter in my Microsoft Account email and password within that authentication window, it works and the shares are loaded.

How can I get windows/FreeNAS to automatically show the SMB shares (like it did when I had local accounts).

Thanks
Jonathan

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I am in the process of moving from local accounts to utilising "Microsoft Accounts" for my Windows 10 PCs at home. I have edit the user accounts, and ensure the email is the same one as used for the Microsoft Account, and the passwords are also the same. I have also ticked the box Microsoft Account, and I am logging into Windows using the account password.

If I view the /usr/local/etc/smbusername.map file, it lists User Name = email address for the users.

Yet, if I try to go to \\server, an authentication window pops up instead of just showing the SMB shares. However, if I enter in my Microsoft Account email and password within that authentication window, it works and the shares are loaded.

How can I get windows/FreeNAS to automatically show the SMB shares (like it did when I had local accounts).

Thanks
Jonathan
The username map is a fairly gross hack IMHO. It's probably easier to just use the credential manager to store your NAS credentials.

Hazimil

Contributor
Fixed it!

As I was also rebuilding my Windows installation, I hadn't realised that Network Discovery was off, once this was enable within Windows it work.

Jonathan

stoffix

Dabbler
Just for future reference I had the same issue.
Network discovery is turned on on my windows 10 client.
My solution was to go to the credential manager, delete all old credentials.
On my next acces to a share on the server new credentials were created automatically and I don't have to log in manually anymore.