Can't access SMB shares with Microsoft account from work PC

kampi

Cadet
Hello!

I am new to TrueNAS (I am using TrueNAS-12.0-U7)
I have the following problem. I have two PCs. On both of them I am logged in with a Microsoft account (two different Microsoft account). One PC is my private, this I use with my private Microsoft account, and the other is a work PC which I use with my work Microsoft account. I created an SMB share, and two users. Both of the users are set up exactly the same way. Email address is correct, password is the same as Microsoft account, and the checkbox is set next to Microsoft account. Both users have access to the share. The problem is, that from my private PC the login with the Microsoft account works properly without password, however, from the work PC it does not. If I try to access the share I get an error message: "The username or password is incorrect". I saw someone mentioning that the PC has to use NTLMv2. It was using v1 indeed, but I changed it, so it uses now NTLMv2, but the error message is the same. The only difference I can think of that can cause this is, that my work PC is connected to the AzureAD.
The interesting thing is, that if I type my email address and password manually, then it works.

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?

Thanks in advance!

Try making the work user exactly whatever whoami from a windows command prompt returns from that machine. i.e. AzureAD\myusername as I think this is how a domain connected user is passed along for auth at least it is when the TN machine is connected to the domain as well.

Id just add this as an additional user in case it also doesnt work, you can just remove this user.

Seems I had to do something hacky like this once when my work had two separate ADs in same building, but a few cris cross users wanted access to the other NAS. Also emails are important to be correct and matching, which i suspect they are because if the username is wrong its my understanding that then email is used, which is why you are able to login with your email and its also nicely telling you the username (or password) is wrong.

Just a theory I dont have the liberty of testing it however. This should get your gears turning at least.